Exploring Rabbit Farming Entrepreneurship in Kenya: Seeking Insights and Support for a Transformative Project

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antony Maina

Reaction score
Hey fellow Redditors,

I hope this post finds you well. I'm reaching out to this community because I'm embarking on an exciting journey that combines my passion for rabbit farming with a vision for economic empowerment in Kenya. I'm currently engaged in rabbit farming for personal consumption and as companionship for pets. However, I'm eager to take this a step further by initiating a rabbit farming project for export. Considering the challenging economic climate in Kenya, my goal is not only to create a sustainable source of income for myself but also to uplift my community during these tough times.

Project Overview: The plan is to establish a rabbit farming initiative that not only produces high-quality meat for export but also serves as a platform for job creation, particularly for the youth in our community. Additionally, I aspire to set up a cooperative (SACCO) to encourage and support more individuals to venture into rabbit rearing, which unfortunately is not as recognized or taken seriously as it should be in Kenya.

Why I Need Your Input: As I embark on this entrepreneurial journey, I'm seeking insights, advice, and potential collaborators who may have experience in rabbit farming or export markets. If you know of any rabbit markets, have tips on navigating the export industry, or if you simply have questions, I'd love to hear from you. Your collective wisdom could make a significant difference in shaping the success of this project.

Get Involved: If you're interested in supporting the initiative, have suggestions, or want to be part of this entrepreneurial venture, feel free to connect. I'm open to discussions, collaborations, and any guidance you might have to offer.

Let's make a positive impact together! 🐇🌍

On export laws contact your own ministry of trade, chamber of commerce or whatever the government agency title that is there. You'll need them anyway for paperwork and such if things get to that point.

Rabbit is not a commercial market as such here. Those who eat it tend to raise their own or buy local.

I know that some ngo's do food support programs based on animal husbandry for food security (meat, milk and manure to fertilize crops). In these times having food for the community provides more security then money that may not buy you enough or anything that can actually get to you.

On export laws contact your own ministry of trade, chamber of commerce or whatever the government agency title that is there. You'll need them anyway for paperwork and such if things get to that point.

Rabbit is not a commercial market as such here. Those who eat it tend to raise their own or buy local.

I know that some ngo's do food support programs based on animal husbandry for food security (meat, milk and manure to fertilize crops). In these times having food for the community provides more security then money that may not buy you enough or anything that can actually get to you.
Aren't there hotels that sell rabbit meat there?

No, rabbit is cute pet bunny and pets are not for eating. Standard white meat is chicken.

Back