Excitement!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cspr

Reaction score
Cages finally came from Bass Equipment. :p

Rabbits are still inside for now, but Anwen (Am. Sable doe) will be moved outside tomorrow. She'll have less space than inside the dog crate, but now she won't have the potential to lay in her pee and poop. Because the girl is as smart as a cocker spaniel. Maybe less smart, depending. :lol: Love her anyway.

Primrose (MR doe) is enjoying the extra space and now has a small cardboard warren for a hide-hole. She also adores mimosa branches. She's eating and drinking well. Everything seems okay with her, and it is fantastic. Her baby fur is beginning to come out and the castor color is reddening up nicely, going from a bit gray to a nice fox's tail tipped with black and over slate. She is getting better and better at being handled, lets me pose her however I see fit, and she let me brush her out all over, including her belly. o.o Oh why oh why does she have to be Vienna marked. :cry: She'd be a great show bunny! XD

Let's hope that in late October she and Basil (MR buck) will produce at least one great solid. Castor, opal, black, blue. Any of 'em. Mind you, she'll be due around Halloween. :x Might be setting myself up for something interesting. :lol:

No kits from Anwen yet, but she's been in and out of her nest enough for her to have totally changed up the organization of paper and hay in there. It's the 32nd day, so I'm not totally worried, but I'm a bit concerned. Might see if I can get her to run loops before I put her in her new home and maybe give her some parsley, maybe raspberry if the plant in the garden can lose a leaf or two. Maybe some lavender if she goes too much longer. Heard of a doe going as long as 41 days, but eh. Thoughts?

Right now I'm also praying for a lovely, at-least-breed-quality buck kit out of her. Mind you, either way I might be getting some Californian, Cali/NZW, or Standard Chinchilla. Either another doe to breed her son to or a buck to breed her and a kept daughter to. I'm not trying to be sketchy, but there are so few American Sables. I know Cali, NZW, and Standard Chins can't hurt the breed much, if any. American Sables came from Standard and American Chins. Sable is either cchl over ch or c, so as long as I cull and cull hard with any funny-looking kits, I should be okay. I'll sell most of the babies as meat mutts and pets but try to get a good 75%+ ratio of American Sable blood in there, as she's pretty flawless except for being immensely skittish, so I can eventually show them without feeling guilty. I considered just breeding her to my MR buck afterwards and using her as a backup doe in case anything happened to Primrose, but all kits would be black (for some reason pet buyers don't enjoy black animals too much) and, well, I could help preserve the breed, even if I might have to bring in one or two other breed animals to do so? Unless anyone knows of a great American Sable breeder in the vicinity of Alabama...

All in all, that's been my day. Also have a fever again after a month of feeling great despite having UCTD, which is similar to lupus. :/ Oh well. Rabbit therapy works wonders, though. Thankfully I'm not living alone and I got some assistance with the trio when I was really ill this morning, but I'm doing a bit better now. Basil and Primrose are top notch and I'm about to go down to check on Anwen and do what I can to make her night comfortable before she gets put out under shelter but in the nice breezy, pine forest that is my backyard. :)

So you ended up with a Vienna marked castor doe to breed to a booted black? Wow, that seems risky with limited holes, I truly hope they produce showable colors for you. The last judge I wrote for commented on how difficult it was to breed correct castors, sounds like you are up for a challenge :D
Good Luck!

XD Me, I never do things the easy way. -rolls eyes at self- It is risky, but she was too perfect to pass up. I'm hoping to go back to the same breeder to either get a blue, black, or blue tort next month. -shrugs- Maybe. I'd love to breed some blues. I have space for five doe-with-kits holes right now and I could have a total of nine if I stacked those out in my mini-barn. I have lots of space for potential hoop house shelters. One of those holes might end up being empty sooner rather than later. My sister wants Primrose after she isn't a brood doe, so that's great. If I get a doe with superior type that's a solid, I'll jump on it and replace her.

And depending on where I move in the next one-to-two years, I will probably have space for at least ten holes. Once I'm finished with school, I plan on starting a hobby farm, so, well, then I could have far more space. ;)

I figure I have time, so might as well go for type and fur, then focus on color.

__________ Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:04 am __________

Aaaand...drum roll everyone...Anwen is finally building her nest properly. We have newspaper mustaches and paper towel mustaches over here. She's just eating the hay in between the rest. XD

-crosses fingers for a large, healthy litter-

__________ Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:10 am __________

No kits yet, unfortunately. She stopped trying to build a nest and now is lying and panting. She grinds her teeth when I get close. -concerned-

Latest posts

Back