Excessive thumping

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inshari

Reaction score
please help…
I recently adopted a female rabbit to pair with my male (who i love to pieces) but she’s way too much for me. she’s always figuring out ways to escape and her into places i thought i had bunny proofed enough and chewing absolutely everything oh and she’s bitten me multiple times. but the cherry on top is her excessive thumping. at first it really didn’t bother me but it’s hit a point that she thumps at least once every 5 minutes for the dumbest reasons. and mostly just randomly. she thumps at my other rabbit all the time (they are both fixed and bonded). and i understand how it seems like i’m overreacting but it’s genuinely hit a point that my other rabbit is starting to imitate her thumping and is thumping wayyy more and i’m getting so annoyed and frustrated. if it wasn’t morally wrong i would surrender her back to the rescue because she’s causing me nothing but stress and makes me constantly frustrated. i don’t know what i’m doing wrong.
and i’ve done hours upon hours of research before i got rabbits, and my other one is no where near as frustrating.

Could be that she has a lot of energy, and needs some way to burn it off. Since she seems to have enough space to move I would consider a constant supply of tree fresh tree branches to gnaw on, and maybe a digging box.

Although it seems counterintuitive, I would do something that triggers her and offer her a treat right afterwards without any fuss, i don't think she would learn that she gets the treat for thumping, but that what you did isn't so bad after all ad therefore no reason to thump. In my opinion thumping is quite different to barking dogs, much more unvoluntarily, a reflex.

have you talked with the rescue to see if you can exchange her for another one? If she's not working for you, high chance it's not working for her either. Something is causing her to live in a state of alarm. Returning her/exchanging her would be for HER benefit as well as yours. If you put it to the rescue that way, they should be willing to help you out.

She's either highly intelligent and there's something in the living environment that is bothering her that you either need to resolve OR remove her from. The other possibility is that she is dumber than a stump and there's no fixing dumb. And if her behaviour is infectious... that becomes problematic.

update:
my buck has completely changed, constantly thumping, grunting, digging and biting me. my female did all of these things and i’m really upset that he’s changed. he was the most cuddly, friendly bunny ever, and now he runs away when i go near him 😞. i decided to seperate them because my doe seems terrified of him suddenly and i thought it would help my bucks thumping (apparently not though). how do i respond to his thumping and discourage it? i’ve tried stomping back and not giving into his demands (or picking him up again if he thumps after i put him down- i try not to carry him too much but sometimes i have to). what do i do?

Back