Excessive Rabbit Care (Caring too much?)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sugarbunnies

Reaction score
Hello all! So! This summer is rapidly approaching- time to start stressing over my buns again!

I was highly considering putting up a big closed tent, and running an air conditioner.

What are y’all’s thoughts? How do you prepare for the summer?

(pic unrelated)

Attachments

• IMG_1254.jpeg
    IMG_1254.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
big closed tent will get hot quickly, you want good air flow. It also depends on where you live and how hot your summers get.

I keep my rabbits (SW Ontario) where we do get some hot days but not Texas hot. :) I don't know what temps are like in MD (is that Maryland?) Anyways, they live in a converted tarp house (covered with wood, under a maple tree). Sides are lattice. Both ends are open. I do not use fans, ice bottles or anything. Any rabbit that can't handle my care gets culled. Breed for the weather you have.

Before I converted the tarp tent it got a bit hot even with both ends open/off. It's much cooler with the lattice sides and the wood top. I need, this year I think, to replace the wood roof. I'll be painting it BEFORE I put it on, with white most likely.

Well, I can tell you about Texas hot. It's 113 sometimes (and I'm not even in South Texas)

I set up a misting system that hits about 1/3-1/2 of the cage. Most of the rabbits love to lay in the mist, even the bitty ones.

I have Tamuk rabbits that are bred especially for the heat, so I don't turn the mister on until it's 90'. Then I have a water timer that turns it on at intervals, depending on how hot it is. Somewhere on rabbittalk I saw a really nifty set up with a mister/timer all automatic. Mine's not that fancy.

If I had 'normal' rabbits, I might turn it on at 85 or even 80. I'm not sure how hardy they would be.

My rabbits must be pretty comfy, they don't pant & I did have a couple healthy rabbits die when they got to their new home and weren't as pampered. (I won't be breeding in the summer again, I think it's too hard on the kits to adjust to new circumstances in the heat)

Hope that helps. I keep meaning to write an article for my website, someday I might get around to it. Glad to answer any questions if you have any 😁

Last edited:
big closed tent will get hot quickly, you want good air flow. It also depends on where you live and how hot your summers get.

I keep my rabbits (SW Ontario) where we do get some hot days but not Texas hot. :) I don't know what temps are like in MD (is that Maryland?) Anyways, they live in a converted tarp house (covered with wood, under a maple tree). Sides are lattice. Both ends are open. I do not use fans, ice bottles or anything. Any rabbit that can't handle my care gets culled. Breed for the weather you have.

Before I converted the tarp tent it got a bit hot even with both ends open/off. It's much cooler with the lattice sides and the wood top. I need, this year I think, to replace the wood roof. I'll be painting it BEFORE I put it on, with white most likely.
Do you think

Maryland is correct! :)

I don’t think it’s topped over 95~ degrees within the past three years. (I’ve lived here for 5)

I was considering a closed area, with the AC on rotation throughout the day. I guess what I mean is, do you think running an air conditioner for my buns seems a little too much?

I suppose I could put cooling stones or a mister?

I want my buns to live lavish lives :p

Do you think
Well, I can tell you about Texas hot. It's 113 sometimes (and I'm not even in South Texas)

I set up a misting system that hits about 1/3-1/2 of the cage. Most of the rabbits love to lay in the mist, even the bitty ones.

I have Tamuk rabbits that are bred especially for the heat, so I don't turn the mister on until it's 90'. Then I have a water timer that turns it on at intervals, depending on how hot it is. Somewhere on rabbittalk I saw a really nifty set up with a mister/timer all automatic. Mine's not that fancy.

If I had 'normal' rabbits, I might turn it on at 85 or even 80. I'm not sure how hardy they would be.

My rabbits must be pretty comfy, they don't pant & I did have a couple healthy rabbits die when they got to their new home and weren't as pampered. (I won't be breeding in the summer again, I think it's too hard on the kits to adjust to new circumstances in the heat)

Hope that helps. I keep meaning to write an article for my website, someday I might get around to it. Glad to answer any questions if you have any 😁
Goodness! I used to live in OK before moving to MD. The hottest I recall was 112! I remember because it was my birthday (July 20)

I want to pamper my rabbits. I want them to live in their own little bunny paradise.

I’ve invested in growing wheatgrass! They now have 24/7 access to hay as well.

Unrelated; what do you feed your rabbits, personally?

I was considering a closed area, with the AC on rotation throughout the day. I guess what I mean is, do you think running an air conditioner for my buns seems a little too much?

My concern about running AC or a lot of other cooling things is what happens if the rabbits never see a warm day and then suddenly the power goes out on a hot day? They won't be ready for it and you'll probably lose a lot of them. I mean, if they start showing heat stress then it's time to step in and help them, but if they're just hot, I would leave them because then the heat will be less dangerous if something happens.

I want to pamper my rabbits. I want them to live in their own little bunny paradise.
This is fine if your bunnies will never leave paradise. If you plan to be responsible for them their whole lives and will gradually acclimate them if something changes. While some of us might sound harsh here, the thing is if your rabbits will be going to less paradise like homes at some point you may be setting them up for failure.

You don't mention what you are breeding them for--meat, pet, show, or if you are actually breeding them at all. Many of us assume that everyone is breeding for meat here, and that gives us a certain pragmatic outlook. However if you are breeding pets or not breeding at all and it is possible to keep them in bunny shangri-la their whole lives then more power to you, go for it!

I would not, because I do breed, and I would not want to create rabbits who become unnecessarily fragile. However, some reasonable accommodation, such as shade and maybe an ice jug on the hottest days, compensates for rabbits that might normally spend the day underground, but cannot because of my preference for housing them off the ground. Tamuks were developed for areas like texas by NOT pampering them, so it is definitely possible to make rabbits more (or less) heat tolerant in a few generations/decades of careful breeding.

This is fine if your bunnies will never leave paradise. If you plan to be responsible for them their whole lives and will gradually acclimate them if something changes. While some of us might sound harsh here, the thing is if your rabbits will be going to less paradise like homes at some point you may be setting them up for failure.

You don't mention what you are breeding them for--meat, pet, show, or if you are actually breeding them at all. Many of us assume that everyone is breeding for meat here, and that gives us a certain pragmatic outlook. However if you are breeding pets or not breeding at all and it is possible to keep them in bunny shangri-la their whole lives then more power to you, go for it!

I would not, because I do breed, and I would not want to create rabbits who become unnecessarily fragile. However, some reasonable accommodation, such as shade and maybe an ice jug on the hottest days, compensates for rabbits that might normally spend the day underground, but cannot because of my preference for housing them off the ground. Tamuks were developed for areas like texas by NOT pampering them, so it is definitely possible to make rabbits more (or less) heat tolerant in a few generations/decades of careful breeding.
That’s amazing! Thank you for the wonderful insight! I suppose I’m just a hobbyist? My original intention was for meat+fur, but what I sayyy- I get attached. :p

My rabbits currently stay in a closed run, half covered by a tarp. Within the run are also a hideaway and a recycled hutch.

I haven’t noticed any struggles with heat. Be it because it’s (checks time)- 87 degrees today.

Would it be beneficial to introduce TAMUK blood? I would loathe having anything else in my red lines.

My concern about running AC or a lot of other cooling things is what happens if the rabbits never see a warm day and then suddenly the power goes out on a hot day? They won't be ready for it and you'll probably lose a lot of them. I mean, if they start showing heat stress then it's time to step in and help them, but if they're just hot, I would leave them because then the heat will be less dangerous if something happens.
I see!! That’s very insightful. Thank you! They’re like; half farm rabbit, half pet? They are currently staying outside, and it’s currently sitting at 87 here in Maryland.

What are some identifiers for a heat stressed rabbit?

Unrelated: what are some identifiers for a stressed rabbit in general?

My approach to heat is to give them access to the ground, and underground if they want.
I planted Topinambur around the hutches, it grows huge and it produces a very nice, cool shadow and micro climate.

Usually they dig shallow pits in the shade under brushes for their bellies, they don't really spend that much time in the tunnels they build. I guess they would during the night but then mine are in the hutches anyway.

I remember pictures from an old book posted here, about heat compatible rabbitry setups. Core elements were underground rooms with an access hatch, walls and flooring made out of concrete slabs and elements, and a seepage groove around the central floor slab. Nest boxes were side tunnels with chambers, accessable from above. There were shaded outside runs connected by a tunnel/pipe.

I see!! That’s very insightful. Thank you! They’re like; half farm rabbit, half pet? They are currently staying outside, and it’s currently sitting at 87 here in Maryland.

What are some identifiers for a heat stressed rabbit?

Unrelated: what are some identifiers for a stressed rabbit in general?
An over warm rabbit will be inactive, and lay stretched out in whatever shade they can find--this is normal, just like what a dog would do. You may notice enlarged blood vessels in their ears, which is their normal method of cooling themselves.

A heat stressed rabbit pants. Like a dog. Mouth open, tongue out, head up. Only they are not supposed to need to, really. It works for them, but it is when you know you are on the edge of what they can handle. Lazy rabbits are ok, a panting rabbit is where I draw the line, and intervene with a hose if necessary (I wet down the area because we do not typically have humidity, so it is very effective at cooling the air in my climate--only in extreme situations would I try wetting down the rabbits because the added stress of being sprayed would be traumatic).

A rabbit stressed by pain will generally look hunched, and cold--a defensive posture and the beginning of shock. A rabbit stressed by fear or sustained anxiety becomes a little neurotic in my experience, startles more easily, may become aggressive, or try to hide constantly, but they are usually pretty subtle about it. As prey animals they are instinctually driven to hide weakness or injury, so you may not see anything until it is an acute issue.

My approach to heat is to give them access to the ground, and underground if they want.
I planted Topinambur around the hutches, it grows huge and it produces a very nice, cool shadow and micro climate.

Usually they dig shallow pits in the shade under brushes for their bellies, they don't really spend that much time in the tunnels they build. I guess they would during the night but then mine are in the hutches anyway.

I remember pictures from an old book posted here, about heat compatible rabbitry setups. Core elements were underground rooms with an access hatch, walls and flooring made out of concrete slabs and elements, and a seepage groove around the central floor slab. Nest boxes were side tunnels with chambers, accessable from above. There were shaded outside runs connected by a tunnel/pipe.
Wow! That sounds like quite the plans! I’ll have to look around. They like to dig their pits inside the run. Cute when they have a tuft of fluft sticking out the end.

An over warm rabbit will be inactive, and lay stretched out in whatever shade they can find--this is normal, just like what a dog would do. You may notice enlarged blood vessels in their ears, which is their normal method of cooling themselves.

A heat stressed rabbit pants. Like a dog. Mouth open, tongue out, head up. Only they are not supposed to need to, really. It works for them, but it is when you know you are on the edge of what they can handle. Lazy rabbits are ok, a panting rabbit is where I draw the line, and intervene with a hose if necessary (I wet down the area because we do not typically have humidity, so it is very effective at cooling the air in my climate--only in extreme situations would I try wetting down the rabbits because the added stress of being sprayed would be traumatic).

A rabbit stressed by pain will generally look hunched, and cold--a defensive posture and the beginning of shock. A rabbit stressed by fear or sustained anxiety becomes a little neurotic in my experience, startles more easily, may become aggressive, or try to hide constantly, but they are usually pretty subtle about it. As prey animals they are instinctually driven to hide weakness or injury, so you may not see anything until it is an acute issue.
Interesting! Thankfully, I don’t believe any of my preciosas have panted before. I do see them sprawled on occasion, but otherwise they are bun-shaped (heh)

Do you think

Maryland is correct! :)

I don’t think it’s topped over 95~ degrees within the past three years. (I’ve lived here for 5)

you can do lavish as long as you are keeping them all for yourself. :) If you are rehoming anything you need to keep them with that in mind. I wouldn't run the AC all the time. At 95 degree tops you're running weather about what I get here. As long as they are NOT in direct sunlight, have access to water (bowls on hot days instead of bottles), and have a wee bit of breeze they will be inactive in the heat and busier in the evening. you will find they will eat less pellets and love fresh greens. Fresh greens will do a great job of keeping them hydrated too. (and if you want more water in them, wet the greens directly before feeding them).

Back