Evaluate Mini Lop breeding stock :)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini Lop Fan

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to Rabbit Talk. I raise Mini Lops mostly for pets, but now I am looking into purchasing several show quality pedigreed Mini Lops, and I wondered if anyone could help me evaluate them? Please be honest and detailed about their weaknesses and strengths!

Okay, so here is the buck I am interested in. I am obviously a newbie, as all I can tell is that he seems to have low shoulders... Anyway, do you think he would be a good starting buck? His Sire has has won 8 consecutive GC Legs and Dam has 2 GC Legs, so he seems to have some good background. Screenshot 2019-08-20 at 7.29.55 PM.png

The second buck I am interested in is a chocolate chinchilla buck, which I love because he would carry the b gene. He is eleven months and has won a GC leg already. He is also molting now, so his fur is kinda splotchy. :) Screenshot 2019-08-29 at 2.34.18 PM.png
Screenshot 2019-08-29 at 2.31.54 PM.png
This is the first doe I am interested in. One reason I want her is that she carries the self gene. Another thing going for her, is that she has won 3 GC Legs. And she has produced several Grand Champions. So mostly with her, she is three years old, do you think she would be a worthwhile buy and then replace her with another doe in the future? Screenshot 2019-08-20 at 7.41.29 PM.png

The second doe I am interested in is ten months and comes from Grand champion bloodlines. The pictures is not very good, but the breeder said she has a good crown and a good face, and she would send me more pictures. Screenshot 2019-08-29 at 2.40.23 PM.png

I would really like to get the Lilac doe, the Chocolate chinchilla buck, and the black broken doe, but I don't think I quite have the room. :(

That second buck looks like a Sable Chinchilla, not a chocolate chinchilla. When breeding mini lops, especially when starting out, it's best to look at only type and not color - you have to build the barn before you can paint it. The first buck looks better than the second imo but still very low in those shoulders. He does look like he has better depth & hindquarters than the second buck. The second doe looks more like an opal to me than a lilac. If I were you I'd still consider the broken black doe, it's good to have rabbits that are proven producers.

Thanks so much for the advice, I think those are the two I will be buying. :D

I wish I could find a buck with better shoulders, but we have looked around and it is pretty hard to find show quality Mini Lops with a pedigree. :? *sighs* Hopefully I can get some good babies from them though. <br /><br /> __________ Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:42 pm __________ <br /><br /> Update, I ended up getting the black and white doe along with a nice young blue buck. I also found out the doe is not self black (aaB_C_D_E_) but a steel E(s) gene paired with the wideband 'e' gene.

Back