ESCAAAAAAAAAAAAPE!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss M

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
ILoveBunnies went out to take care of the bunny water bottles this morning, as always. Shortly, we heard a POUND, POUND, POUND at the patio door. There was ILoveBunnies holding one of Squeak's kits, looking mighty worried.

Turned out she had found the little broken chinchilla on the poop chute below Pearl's cage. :eek: She was in a near-panic as she told us how she had found it burrowed into the bunny berry hay under the cage. :x Mom and I took the kit and wrapped it in a rag, and ILoveBunnies went to go wash her hands.

I got another rag and dampened one side with warm water. As mom tried to hold the little live wire, I did my best to scrub it. Once I had gotten its fur good and spiky, I scrubbed it dry.

I have never seen a kit so wiggly! It's just over a week old, and I'm guessing it missed a feeding. It was just so determinedly searching for a nipple, it was hard to keep hold of! :lol:

We gave the kit back to ILoveBunnies and I told her to put it in the back, on the bottom. My hope was that it would get warm and snuggly and go to sleep! But I was concerned that it would make its way back out in its search for milk, so I told ILoveBunnies that when she finished the bottles, she should look again in the nest to see.

Thankfully, it seems to have snuggled in. :roll:

Twix's kits always go wandering. I'm not sure why but they'll be out of the nestbox before their eyes open. Her current litter just opened their eyes and still wiggle around and last night I watched all 4 fall out of the nestbox and hunt down their mom for a drink. She has very bold kits.

Wow, Akane... this is the first one I've had fall out of the box this early! And I've never had one fall through the wire. I guess by the time they start getting out of the box here, which would be several days from now, their heads are too big to fit through the wire. :lol:

Ann - Yes, I still can't believe ILoveBunnies found that kit! There's a lot of hay under there right now, since we just got over being sick for so long.

BB always had escape artist kits--found one a good 30 feet away, in the center of the barn floor--any other location a few minutes before, it would have been squashed by BigBrother's truck tires.
I wonder, is adventurousness something we need to breed for or against?

Frosted Rabbits":31br2ued said:
BB always had escape artist kits--found one a good 30 feet away, in the center of the barn floor--any other location a few minutes before, it would have been squashed by BigBrother's truck tires.
I wonder, is adventurousness something we need to breed for or against?
:shock: Whoa... that's a kit with a place to go!

If I were to breed one way or the other, I'd breed against! I want them to stay alive! :roll:

I would think active kits who can handle temperatures out of the box and start testing other foods early would be beneficial. They could be weaned earlier if you wanted and would be more likely to survive provided you properly used baby saver wire. Mine can't get out of the cages so I don't have a problem with it. They just run around and eat pellets earlier than the less adventurous kits. The wooden nestbox also stays more sanitary because they stop using it by 10 days old.

remember ,I liked it when my AmChins could climb straight up the side of a cage or pen-- they had the better shoulders....

Frosted Rabbits":1hu66xka said:
remember ,I liked it when my AmChins could climb straight up the side of a cage or pen-- they had the better shoulders....
Oooooooooooooh, that would make a difference, wouldn't it? I saw one of Pearl's kits climbing the cage the other day. :D

Sounds like baby bun went on an adventure! Glad everything worked out well and the lil' one is safe and snuggly now. :)

We found baby bunnies in the weirdest places...across the barn, fell through a cage into another one, in the trays, in the food dish, outside?! We found one in one of the hen nests, the only thing we can think is that it escaped into the coop which is adjacent to the rabbit part of the barn and one of the hens picked him up. Thank goodness he was still alive!

tomcatrabbitry":3mmrdou9 said:
We found baby bunnies in the weirdest places...across the barn, fell through a cage into another one, in the trays, in the food dish, outside?! We found one in one of the hen nests, the only thing we can think is that it escaped into the coop which is adjacent to the rabbit part of the barn and one of the hens picked him up. Thank goodness he was still alive!
Gracious! It's good you found the one the hen adopted, before it decided it was a chicken! :p

Miss M":2lnvld1z said:
tomcatrabbitry":2lnvld1z said:
Gracious! It's good you found the one the hen adopted, before it decided it was a chicken! :p

Hahaha! I was thankful she didn't eat the poor little guy. He was maybe 2 weeks old, who knows he might have gotten into the nest himself, it was probably very warm.

Back