En Question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mckatie

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Can a REW cover/hide anything? Is there a chance a REW could be
A_,B_,CC,__ _ ,EN_, ? My broken black Oreo had 2 REW kits so I'm curious to know if that gene could also be hidden. How would you know? Or how could you test breed? Thank you for any thoughts and all sharing! KT

Last edited:
Can a REW cover/hide anything? Is there a chance a REW could be
A_,B_,CC,__ _ ,EN_, ? My broken black Oreo had 2 REW kits so I'm curious to know if that gene could also be hidden. How would you know? Or how could you test breed? Thank you for any thoughts and all sharing! KT
Yes, REW hides everything; at least as far as I know, there is no color or pattern gene that will overpower that <cc>. So, you cannot tell anything about any other loci in a REW unless you have a pedigree or do a test breeding.

A broken REW out of your broken black doe would be <?a ?? cc ?? ?? Enen>.

Since they have a broken dam, chances are decent - 50/50, actually - that one or both of your REWs are genetically broken colored.

To test whether a REW is a broken En_, breed it to a solid. Chances are very good (though never 100%!) that if it's a broken, you'll get at least one broken kit in the litter, which you will know came from the REW parent.

The same goes for BEW; it's hard to say what's under the genetic whitewash, other than that you can say for sure it's not cc, as REW trumps BEW.

One of my most successful white Satin does, Diamond Chip, genetically was a broken blue. She produced many broken kits with solid bucks, and only blues/broken blues when bred to self blue bucks:
DiamondChipLeft.jpg
And Jazzy here, our old man BEW Polish buck, is genetically a broken chestnut. He produces solid (well, solid or solid with small vienna marks) and broken chestnuts with our self black does:
Jazzy scratch.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, REW hides everything; at least as far as I know, there is no color or pattern gene that will overpower that <cc>. So, you cannot tell anything about any other loci in a REW unless you have a pedigree or do a test breeding.

A broken REW out of your broken black doe would be <?a ?? cc ?? ?? Enen>.

Since they have a broken dam, chances are decent - 50/50, actually - that one or both of your REWs are genetically broken colored.

To test whether a REW is a broken En_, breed it to a solid. Chances are very good (though never 100%!) that if it's a broken, you'll get at least one broken kit in the litter, which you will know came from the REW parent.

The same goes for BEW; it's hard to say what's under the genetic whitewash, other than that you can say for sure it's not cc, as REW trumps BEW.

One of my most successful white Satin does, Diamond Chip, genetically was a broken blue. She produced many broken kits with solid bucks, and only blues/broken blues when bred to self blue bucks:
View attachment 41100
And Jazzy here, our old man BEW Polish buck, is genetically a broken chestnut. He produces solid (well, solid or solid with small vienna marks) and broken chestnuts with our self black does:
View attachment 41099
Thank you! While I do have the pedigree, we know it's wee wonky in places. I sold the broken black kit, kept the broken other kit (haven't really figured him out either..broken smoke pearl, broken blue sallander, - broken steel was 3 generations back)...kept the 2 smoke pearl does who now look like their dad ( most people voted sable point with a sallander tossed in). I have a lot of REW kits currently (and black) in other litters so it's easy to choose who goes and who stays when the buyers just want "does". Looking ahead I would like to play with these colours - breeding Oreo back to CC to see what comes up in their second litter. Breeding the rew buck in Oreo's litter to Velvet , Chocolate Truffle or Smokey Jo later on. Chocolate Truffle or Velvet are probably good choices because in their litters they have only thrown solids,black, REW ..with the addition of red in Velvet's. Thank you very much!

Latest posts

Back