EMERGENCY: Mini Rex in Trouble!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMR

Reaction score
I've already called the vet, said it was a hopeless case that he'd just die, I could bring him in and have him put down or could deal with it myself :( . How ever considering he's had a horribly long trip here (over 10 hours on the road) in the last 2 weeks and he's lasted this long I'm hoping there's a way to help him out.

7 month old Mini Rex buck, has been kept isolated since I got him last week on Sunday. He's been OK up until 2 days ago, then went off feed. Didn't worry too much considering he had a long trip and was still drinking fine and eating all kinds of hay. Yesterday loose poo every where, brought him in and started probiotics and geller in warm water didn't want to have any thing to do with it really, so worked on yogurt which he took quite easily. Added a hot water bottle as he just seemed cold and kept a watch on him. This morning found him grinding teeth, remembered about a post on aspirin and gave him 1/2 a dose, waited a while and gave him the other half (couple hours). Forced more yogurt/fluids, very little improvement. Gave a 500 tums as I know some times that will help, saw a lil more improvement...enough for him to fight me a little being picked up but not much. Is there any thing else I can do for this guy? I would really really like to save him, usually I let nature take its course if they don't improve with some probiotics and some help...but I just can't let this one go like this. I've not contacted the breeder yet, considering its been 2 weeks and had third party transport (trust worthy and rabbit savvy so its non-issue there) I doubt they'd have any ideas for me.<br /><br />__________ Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:48 pm __________<br /><br />Should add he's still grinding teeth when I pick him up to give liquids or to move him. Still has goop poo as well :(

No bloat what so ever. No nots or lumps in his belly area either. He doesn't grunt or grind his teeth when I rub his belly or check him out other wise but when I initially pick him up or set him down he grinds his teeth a little before he settles in. There is no sign of broken bones or nerve issues either. He is sitting up but that's it. He just seems like a breathing shell.

How often can asprin be given with out OD? He's not had any since 3pm, but I don't want to over do it either.

grinding teeth means in a WHOLE lot of pain.

probably gut stasis... see if you can get some fresh pineapple juice into him.

but once they start grinding their teeth prognosis is not good.

Got some pineapple juice into him, about 10cc's worth. The probiotics I'd been given him are with electrolytes, but added just the electrolytes drink in. I have pros, electrolytes, sulfa, and pen g plus teas and few other things on hand...mini med chest for emergencies/first aid. Still same as was, I know its not a really good out look and there's very little chance if any but still hopeful. I'm quite aware I could go check on him and find him gone any time.

Thanks every one!

....he's still around but same as has been. I guess I'm waiting to see improvement or until he tells me its too much and time to let him go. Since he's still up and fighting and not grinding all the time, I figured I'd let him be and keep working on liquids, etc. until some thing changes.<br /><br />__________ Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:29 am __________<br /><br />He finally passed yesterday evening, poor boy. I hope he RIP now at least...what a fighter...

Its been assumed that it was mucus enth. or another GI issue that was revealed with moving stress....

TY...learning experience...some times no matter how much they seem to fight it they just aren't going to make it.

add to your emergency medicine chest--injectable dextrose. It is inexpensive, and can be used to keep an animal hydrated while supplying energy...

Frosted Rabbits":3su42g36 said:
add to your emergency medicine chest--injectable dextrose. It is inexpensive, and can be used to keep an animal hydrated while supplying energy...
Oh, THAT'S what it's for! :slap:

I'm so sorry you lost him. :( You did everything you could.

Latest posts

Back