Ear mites scourge!

Help Support RabbitTalk:

ohiogoatgirl

Reaction score
Ok yall I'm losing my mind! I will be building a stand for multiple cages. If I run a torch over my cages will that sanitize them? I thought I really had it kicked with the VetRx drops in olive oil. Cleared up fast and seemed to stay gone. I think I need to keep up afterwards with a few drops of the VetRx in the ear after it's gone. Like once a week maybe.

I need to get my doe still. After ending up with two bucks :evil: And I'm seriously considering leaving the bucks where they are and having the doe move to the new setup. After I get a few litters cull the bucks and bleach and torch those cages before adding them to the new setup. Then just breed from what I have. I'm tired of ending up with mites over and over!

Is there anything else I can do?

golden rabbitry

Reaction score
You can torch a cage to burn fur off but I don't know how effective it would be at sanitizing for mites. I would swab the ears of all the rabbits every day for a month or so to make sure they are gone. I tend to have an issue with fur mites but whenever one rabbit gets it, I DE dust and give a dishsoap bath to all my rabbits. It works great and haven't had an issue with either types of mites for about a year. I wouldn't scrap both bucks right away, I guess it depends on their value, but definitely quarantine and treat any rabbit you want to move to the new setup. I would also DE all the rabbits and cages since it kills all mites

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
horse wormer paste with ivermection in it works wonders at getting rid of mites.
as does plain oil in the ear, doesn't matter the type. Don't need to add VetRx to it.

Bleach everything really well.
If you have wood cages the eggs can be hidden anywhere, so I'd toss the wood.

michaels4gardens

RabbitTalk Supporter
Reaction score
I use injectable bovine ivermectin sub Q , on all adult breeders at the same time,
if I have a doe with kits that are past the nursing stage I isolate her then
treat her after the kits are gone.
When I treat all rabbits at the same time, I have never had a mite problem come back later.

hotzcatz

Reaction score
Yup, like Ladysown & Mike said - Ivermectin. I just put a smear of it in their ears and it totally knocks out ear and wool mites. AFAIK, ear/wool mites can combust out of thin air. I dunno if you can keep it sanitary enough to keep them gone. But, a tube of horse wormer or a bottle of injectable Ivermectin will treat a LOT of rabbits. Somehow Ivermectin got rid of a cough in our sheep, although that may have been nose bots so it would make sense as a wormer that it could get rid of a cough. Ivermectin is wonderful stuff.

Latest posts