Ear Mites in Pregnant Doe: What to Do?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phacelia

Reaction score
Apparently I wasn't aggressive enough with my ear mite treatment for my rabbits, last month. :(

I looked at my NZ doe today and saw that she still had them, even worse than before.

I'll admit, even though I treated them all weekly, I never got around to the disinfecting the cages, so I know that's why they aren't gone. With everything that's been going on, that kind of fell off the radar. :oops:

So anyhow, this doe is due to kindle on the 22nd, and it is her first litter. She is also very skittish and hates being handled, so I'm afraid to mess with her before her kindle date.

What do you recommend I do?

I was thinking of waiting a few days after the kits were born to resume treatment and attempt to clean the cages.

But then will I need to treat the kits too? What about the nest box? I have a feeling I have my work cut out for me.... :x

there are a couple things I do for my rabbits.

I use Sergeant's Vetscription Miteaway or Olive oil on some and it REALLY takes care of them good or I hear ACV is good at getting rid of mites, but it has to have the "mother" in it for it to work

If it were me, I'd probably try to put olive oil or mineral oil on her ears to smother the current mites asap. Beyond that though, especially because she is prone to stress with handling, I'd try to leave her alone until after she has kindled and everyone is doing well. Beyond that point, I'd lean towards ivermectin. I know some people have said they used Ivomec or horse paste ivermectin on preggo does or does with milk/kits, but I don't have any experience with that part. Best of luck!

Thanks for your replies, everyone.

Zass: I was using olive oil with a few drops of tea tree oil added, 2-3 drops per ear every other day.

I would just use mineral oil. Don't skimp on it, as you were doing with 2-3 drops. Put a good 1/2 teaspoon or more in each ear, pinch the base of the ear shut, and agitate the ear. It will make a mess of her fur, but at least the mites will be dead. ;)

Phacelia":17tk6unh said:
I'll admit, even though I treated them all weekly, I never got around to the disinfecting the cages, so I know that's why they aren't gone.

Actually, I don't think that is much of a problem... I doubt that ear mites would reproduce successfully away from their host. Just to be safe though, if your cages are not all wire, I would dust the joints of any wood portions with food grade Diatomaceous Earth. You can even apply some to the buns themselves to kill any "traveling" mites.

I have used ivermectin paste on both my pregnant and open does with no problem. I put a pea-sized amount on a q-tip and tap it on their lips. Half remains on the q-tip, and the other half gets licked off the lips. I find this method especially helpful with skittish buns. Repeat in 14 days whether you see a problem or not.

MamaSheepdog":qhuyerhb said:
I would just use mineral oil. Don't skimp on it, as you were doing with 2-3 drops. Put a good 1/2 teaspoon or more in each ear, pinch the base of the ear shut, and agitate the ear. It will make a mess of her fur, but at least the mites will be dead. ;)

Sounds like a good idea. I think her mites were just too advanced for the minimal amount of oil to do the job.

Phacelia":qhuyerhb said:
I'll admit, even though I treated them all weekly, I never got around to the disinfecting the cages, so I know that's why they aren't gone.

MamaSheepdog":qhuyerhb said:
Actually, I don't think that is much of a problem... I doubt that ear mites would reproduce successfully away from their host. Just to be safe though, if your cages are not all wire, I would dust the joints of any wood portions with food grade Diatomaceous Earth. You can even apply some to the buns themselves to kill any "traveling" mites.

The cages are all wire. I just read that the scabs flying out of their ears will scatter and they'll keep getting re-infected.

What about the nest box? Will the straw harbor the mites?

Phacelia":3o0076cc said:
I think her mites were just too advanced for the minimal amount of oil to do the job.

Probably. If the oil didn't coat every surface in her ear some would have survived.

Phacelia":3o0076cc said:
I just read that the scabs flying out of their ears will scatter and they'll keep getting re-infected.

I suppose that is possible if the scabs aren't coated in mineral oil. :? But, according to the information found here: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ear_mites.html
ear mites are transmitted directly from host to host, which indicates to me that they would not survive wandering around the environment.

HOW DID MY PET GET EAR MITES?

Ear mites readily transmit from host to host by physical contact. Ear mites came from some other animal with whom your pet has been socializing. Because mites are easily transmissible by physical contact, treatment for mites often must include all household pets.

Also:

The mite lives on the surface of the ear canal skin, though sometimes migrates out onto the face and head of its host.

I've had good success with ADVANTAGE (for cats/rabbits) by Bayer - It may be the costly option but the stuff does work and it says it is safe for use in pregnant and lactating animals. A few drops on their neck and that's that.
I buy it online where I can get the UK version...cuz it has a bunny on the package

Back