Ear Mites: care/solutions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usually it takes a few days to kill everything. The oil works by smothering the mites and their eggs. I don't think you need to use it daily. One or two treatments, then another about a week later is what I've always heard. I've only once had a rabbit with ear mites and a single treatment seemed to clear it up.

I personally HATE parasites - so I'd go every other day for three days - then wait a week then repeat

A couple of weeks ago I had a doe that got ear mites. I put cooking oil in her ears for three days in a row and they were gone on the fourth day. I am planning on retreating her in the morning.

Emily

Most all of us here would prefer "natural" solutions. If one chooses, to use a different approach, 5% Sevin is a great solution and is safer than any other chemical including "natural" insecticides like pyrethrins or nictotine. I dust my animals twice a year with it, especially if I have had them outside on the ground. If one uses it judiciously and rubs it in, it will not hurt the animal if it licks some off. If one only wishes to treat the ear of a mite infected rabbit, get a pinch between the thumb and finger and sprinkle it in the ear spreading it around some. It will kill the mites in a few hours. Never use any other comecial insecticide, especially somthing like malathion. Mineral oil and other oils work OK, but it takes a while for the oil to wear off, and can cause problems if ther is too much. 5% Sevin (don't use the 10%) was used on cats before the collars came along and is still safer than the collars.

Back