(Dying newborn rabbit? Help!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krank

Reaction score
EDIT: He died...
Ok, so i have a baby rabbit that mom bit his ear off shortly after giving him a birth. I took him home, syringe fed goat milk. He was't getting plump but his hair was developing well and scar tissue started to form in his wound but he was getting skinny. I think he may've aspirated some milk a few hours ago, as he coughed a bit and made some clicking sounds. 2 hours ago i tried nursing him on his mom so that he could get some rabbit milk and now when i picked him up he made some clicking sound while opening and closing his mouth and suddenly stopped moving. After a minute he started moving a bit and idk what's wrong with him??? Please help!

sounds like he aspirated. Best to leave them with mom is you can. Sometimes mom's overclean their kits, doesn't mean they are horrible moms, just mistakes happen.

EDIT: He died...
Ok, so i have a baby rabbit that mom bit his ear off shortly after giving him a birth. I took him home, syringe fed goat milk. He was't getting plump but his hair was developing well and scar tissue started to form in his wound but he was getting skinny. I think he may've aspirated some milk a few hours ago, as he coughed a bit and made some clicking sounds. 2 hours ago i tried nursing him on his mom so that he could get some rabbit milk and now when i picked him up he made some clicking sound while opening and closing his mouth and suddenly stopped moving. After a minute he started moving a bit and idk what's wrong with him??? Please help!
I'm sorry for your loss, it can be very difficult to lose rabbits, if you can find them at TSC, they sell baby bottles with nipples designed for rabbits, also when syringe feeding, I let the baby rabbit lick the milk off its lips and the tip of the syringe, eventually it will try to latch but trying to make sure it only gets a drop at a time helps, also having tissue on hand to wipe milk from its nose

I bottle fed 3 orphaned cottontails (pigs dug up the nest), I tried with feild mice who's nest was torn up and most aspirated, it can be challenging to try and help young animals, I send you positive assurance! It may take. a few tries but you'll get the hang of it eventually <3

Back