Dwarf lop with 8 kits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northernnevadahollandlops

Reaction score
My dwarf lop gave birth to 8 kits on Thursday, and from what I have read, it seems like that is unusual for true dwarfs? This is my first litter with her. Her first litter she had five and I understand she did well with them, but she had just weaned them when I bought her and she was seemed really thin. I made sure she had filled out and was healthy before breeding her here.
Should I be worried about the size of the litter? She only had one peanut.

My bigger does are due next week, so I won't be able to foster any until then. (other than that worry, I'm very excited about these babies)

Attachments

• IMG_20220204_183316_834.jpg
    IMG_20220204_183316_834.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 10
So cute! Is she doing alright with them? If you think she needs a little help with milk production you can feed her some rolled oats and black oil sunflower seeds (BOSS). There are also some herbs like raspberry leaves that could help. She'll be using a good bit of energy feeding all those, so she may need the extra fat from the BOSS so it doesn't wear her down too much (possibly also depending on how much fat is in your feed already). I have read that they really take off growing when they are around ten days old, so she may need the extra supplements then especially.

ooo, yeah, extra fat and WATER, get her a GIANT bottle. She has to drink to make milk so even just an hour or two thirsty is going to be too much. Fat is the most calorie dense form of food, so when something is struggling to keep weight on, it is the number one best supplement in whatever format is most tasty. I would pretty much give her free choice to everything and watch her condition for a guide on whether to add more food or take some away. By asking what she needs you have won the battle--she needs support and as long as you understand that you, and she, will be fine.

Back