Duckweed?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Cool I have got Duck weed in my pond!I have heard it has a lot of protein in it, and i am interested in drying it for my rabbits. I took enough to cover 1 plastic bin and a 10 gallon fish tank. The fish tank has been cycling for a while now, but has no fish. I am going to try to get guppies in a few weeks. I am going to try to raise some Duckweed in there and use it for them. I dont use chemicals in my tanks normally, but if i have to I could get rid of the duckweed and start over when it is out of the system.

I will be getting a 55 gallon tank come June and will put it there as well while it cycles out.

Do you think I if could give it a good rinse I could use it straight out of the pond? After drying it of course.

I was like 99% sure it was duckweed, but I asked to be sure!

If nothing was used on the pond, why not?
You can get kiddie pools, fill with water in a sunny area, add some bunny poo for fertilizer and add the duckweed. It should cover it whole in no time.

As for in your tank, realize that it will be a pain and near impossible to remove from your tank without tearing it down completely.

Duckweed reproduces very quickly-- If the water it came out of is safe enough for a wild animal to drink, you would not need to rinse it for your rabbits. I would not put it in a 50 gallon tank unless you have a way to exclude it from an area large enough to enable any floating fish food to get eaten without interferance.

Note-rinsing the plant does not remove any absorbed toxins. Toxins enter wsater plants the same way they do land plants-- air and roots.

Umm, one does not need to completely tear down an established tank to remove duckweed. Believe me--aquatic plants are relatively simple to eradicate from confined habitats...

Then you clearly haven't had large, heavily planted tanks! Duckweed is heck to remove, just go post in any aquarium forum that you want duckweed and everyone will tell you to watch out.

agree with CnB and i dont even have the stuff (yet ;) ) or fishtanks. in my readin of it though it seems to be the plague of pondkeepers and many fish people.

Careful,
when you gather wild Duck weed you will also be gathering
quit a few of the tiny to microscopic little beasts that
reside in that lake. It could bring DEATH to any fish housed within.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Latest posts

Back