Dropped off.....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohen Rabbitry

Reaction score
Ok, so I had a supposed 'friend' drop off a mini lop (she told me it was a mini rex) and a lionhead at my doorstep. They have no pedigrees and are about 6 months old each. She only had them for 4 months before deciding that she didn't want to take care of them anymore. I figured I could either keep them as pets, or sell them as pets only. Well, after she left she told me that she bred both of them to a mini rex a couple of days ago. *WTH, if you don't want them, WHY breed them?* So, the babies are going to be mixed breed, but the buck did have a pedigree. My questions are, Since she was so irresponsible and didn't even breed to the same breed is this going to be a problem? I know that the babies will have to be pet'ed out, but what if I keep one and breed that one to one of my MR, and get rid of the other breed line, or is that not a good idea? I know it would take many generations, but if it is done how long will it take to get the ML and LH out? I probally won't do it, but was just wondering. Thanks :help:

Rachel

The irresponsibility of what you described is so bizarre that I really don't know where to start, but I will at least say that if it had happened to me, I would have gone thru the roof.

Rachel,
you will find that quite often the irresponsible
will drop their problems into the hands of anyone else
that they feel will take the responsibility that they cannot accept.
I would turn those rabbits into Dog-food at least they will not be wasted
and will serve a purpose. DO not allow yourself to accept the responsibility
for the irresponsible actions of another! Just do the right thing and don't
mess up your own breeding program in the process.
As always, JMPO. :explode:
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

why do people do these things? I don't know. last Christmas I took in a doe that the gal bred and then was going to release into the wild. We had snow already.....She gave me six lovely kits and then left my place for another. People are decidedly stupid.

as to whether or not you should keep a kit. Look them over carefully. See if they have the type that you want. I"m guessing they won't. Most lionhead crosses have some wool going on in them. and mini lops are built differently than a rex I think... Their bone is heavier from what I know of them. Granted you could breed some of that out, but surprises could happen down the line. You don't want to put wool into your MR lines. you just don't.

NOW in my area those crosses sell well as $10 pets. So whatever the pet market goes for in your area, let them go for that...particularly the lionhead crosses. The mini lop cross MIGHT make a good meat rabbit. But I'd try selling them as pets first but it's all up to you. :)

I have decided that I am not going to waste my time and effort on a cross that I may or may not be able to ever breed out. I don't have cage space and it isn't fair to my MR stock or me to not be able to produce as much MR as needed or wanted because I was trying to do that. I am going to sell the kits as pets when weaned and sell the LH and ML as well. Lets just hope that they are not pregnant. The lady used to have them in one 36" cage together, but now they are trying to be dominate over each other so they are in 2 seperate cages, and I couldn't even use her cage that she gave me. I threw it out. I don't know how they stayed in there without escaping and it was WAY too unsanitary.

Rachel

Cohen Rabbitry":3hpthwcb said:
I am going to sell the kits as pets when weaned and sell the LH and ML when weaned as well.
Sounds as though you're making a good choice. Sorry you had to deal with that.

Latest posts

Back