Done growing?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disney

Reaction score
How do you know when a junior rabbit (doe in this case) has reached her potential full size and stopped growing?

I have a small doe who is now 10 months old, she is from may 2012 and i don't know if she is done growing because i want to breed her mid april.
I got her in august last year when she was around 10 weeks. I also had a sister of her who i bought 2/4 weeks before her, so by the time both sisters were reunited, there was a noticeable difference in their size. The doe that i got first was bigger and heavier than her sister who i just came here.
Her previous owners neglected their rabbits and mostly left them without water during summer and they didn't get the right pellets but were given mixed rodent feed.
I was first only able to buy the broken doe, the choc was supposed to go to someone else, they never picked her up so the owners contacted me a month later and so i got her.

Later i sold the broken doe and kept the chocolate, winter came and some of my rabbits lose a lot of weight.
The high ranked rabbits didn't let the 2 newly introduced, low ranked doe's eat as much as the other so they lost weight and the choc lost a lot of fur on her back and feet. The chocolate still lives in the same colony and she gained her weight back because i kind of overfeed them now so nobody is left hungry and since the dominant female is raising kits in the colony.

I also started with adding sience selective supreme on their pellets, it has 25% fiber, alfa alfa, linseed with omega 3 & 6 which should help the juniors grow faster than normal.

So i want to wait another 2/3/4 weeks until i breed her, but i want to make sure she is has reached her potential full size self.
I hate to think that her body will stop growing if i breed her too soon because the body needs to direct all energy to the babies.

Here are both sisters, i don't know if you can see it but the broken sibling was bigger than her ister.
840CIMG5081.jpg

860CIMG5835.jpg

162CIMG5856.jpg

932CIMG5860.jpg

373CIMG5864.jpg

Good question.

Well since I raise ARBA breeds it,pretty easy they have a weight min/max, but from what I've seen of most rabbits, the dwarf hit their max weight generally by six mos, medium breeds by 6-8, large 8-10 and some large and giant breeds by a year. For a dwarf/small, 6 mos is about right for breeding, 10 mos is more than enough. Some even fill out after breeding.

You are right about filling out after pregnancy.
My bew doe disney, was bred accidentally when she was just 6 months old and she was still very thin.

She was 7 months here when she just kindled
629CIMG3420.jpg

And this is her now (she was 3weeks pregnant here)
803CIMG5780.jpg

I've been advised to breed my Jersey Woolys before showing as seniors. One of the top JW, T--D--,was not high on the list, until she had three litters and her show career took off after that. that's the reason I got JW, some look better after breeding.

Okay, i'm convinced.
I think i'm going to breed her tomorrow.. very excited!
This will be my first chocolate litter and they will be the foundation to my breeding project.

skysthelimit":3a77jfgx said:
I've been advised to breed my Jersey Woolys before showing as seniors. One of the top JW, T--D--,was not high on the list, until she had three litters and her show career took off after that. that's the reason I got JW, some look better after breeding.

Good to know! :p

I bred Summit, my black JW... mostly because I want some JW stock of my own breeding to put on the table. Showoff is growing in a nice new coat and has two Legs, so I held off with her- but now I am tempted to breed her too!

Disney":3a77jfgx said:
Okay, i'm convinced.
I think i'm going to breed her tomorrow.. very excited!

Whoo-hoo! Hopefully she will be receptive. :clover:

I was told that several of those JW does on the table are 5 years old, still having litters, still winning legs. T--D--has 17 legs, and has has quite a few litters in between. They are not Rex that are retired from the table to breed. I am so looking forward to showing mother and daughters on the table.

MamaSheepdog":2yxihsze said:
Whoo-hoo! Hopefully she will be receptive. :clover:

I tried her and Zira, both were running away from the buck.
Put acv in their water and i'm going to try again tomorrow, everyday until they're oke.
The choc doe was chasing, mounting the neutered buck and lifting for him a month ago, and now she doesn't want to all of a sudden :?

Latest posts

Back