dog or a pair of geese

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I keep on getting raccoons in my yard. I had enough of it. I go through this every year and every year i trap and move them away. NOw my question is ,i either get a dog for outside and stay outside all summer including nights. Or i get a pair of geese. I had geese before for this reason and worked great. But the mess they leave behind was gross. My husband say a dog no geese. I say 3 dogs enough and cost more money to keep and trouble.Geese are easy to take care of. But messy. I dont know which one will do a better job. I was thinking a border collie. Wants a raccoons see a large animal in the yard. They stay away. My yard is fenced in and my bunnies are at my end of my yard for the summer time in a like a bush area for shade. They found a way in there and starting eating under cages and turned over my buckets and barrels even tho there was nothing in them. As i was smarter than them. On my way back to the house. THey caught a fish down at the creek and brought it in the middle of my backyard and eat it. Left behind guts and bottom of a jaw....DOnt they know that bass are not in season yet. :)
I need your advice. Do i get another dog or a pair of geese?

Geese vary quite a bit in temperament, but even the nasty ones are not likely a match for a raccoon. I know my geese (Pilgrims) would be at risk if I didn't put them in their shed at night.

the last pair i bought were the toulouse. I really liked them. THey got along with my dogs. Didnt fly around. Once the raccoon seen the large geese. They stayed away and just traveled around my property. I guess i would need something like that again. They had a nice temp. But they would sit on my patio and and poop on the walkway. My husband was getting really upset. So the geese had to go. That is why he dosnt want anymore geese. But i would keep them in my fence in area were my rabbits are at night so they dont travel around the yard. ONly in the day time and have a kiddy pool for them.

why not just build a coon proof pen for your rabbits? My neighbors chickens and ducks keep getting eaten by coons, she doesnt even close the door on the hen house at night. a fence around the back yard is like no protection at all for your rabbits,,even if you get dogs and geese. Hawks hang out here since she got the chickens. im hopeing that the hawks dont get my little dogs, the smallest one darts for cover when she sees a shadow of a big bird fly over, the bigger dog,9lbs, barks at them.<br /><br />__________ Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:45 am __________<br /><br />building a coon proof pen is cheaper in the long run than feeding dogs, and the dog might think the rabbits tasty also, a friend of mines dogs ate her house bunny

Well let me see. They are all in a pen. With fenceing and a top on it. ect. The rabbits are in cages. They can climb and dig under. I am not to worry about my rabbits much as they cant get to them. It is the rest of the yard and mess they leave behind.

I agree that making sure your rabbitry is raccoon proof is the best way of handling the situation. I know you like to have your rabbits outdoors, so perhaps a chain-link enclosure around the cage area would work. It needs to have chain link going right over the top and also needs to have wire laid flat around the perimeter, staked down so the raccoons cannot dig in. Make sure the cages are not so close to the chain link that the raccoons can reach through. We built such an enclosure about seven years ago from recycled materials. It isn't pretty, but it does keep the rabbits safe.

Personly I would get a pair of Large geese to help but i would also set up live traps, and when you get the coons in a trap all you have to do is call fish and wildlife and they will come out and remove the coons from your place and relocate them

keep in mind, when a person removes a territorial animal, such as a 'coon, from an area, the 'void' is filled by another !!! Sometimes, it is best to 'train' the resident predator to keep away, than to remove it, only to have another move in!

You are probably right terry. I just caught a coon this morning . My husband move it to another spot. In a few days i will get another one . THis will go on until winter. It is very upsetting. I dont want to kill them .But i dont want them either.

Attachments

• coon poop.jpg
    coon poop.jpg
    541 KB · Views: 839
  • coon in a trap.jpg
    coon in a trap.jpg
    848.1 KB · Views: 839
Sorry Mary Ann: only one solution. ELIMINATE THEM!!

As callous as it may sound...that is a permanent solution. Relocation isn't truly an option. They have an innate homing ability that will guide them back to their home-territory if they are released less than 10 miles from where they were caught. If taken further, the resident population may well attack, injure, and slowly kill them as an intruder in a strange territory.

Sometimes, we have to make these decisions. It's not always palatable, nor pleasant. But, it needs to be done. Coons and possums are rogues when it comes to attacking a possible meal for them. Plus, you may well run them off one night but they will return again and again until they are successful.

One thing that might work is an electric fence. Zap their azz a couple of times and they'll learn to avoid that space. Just remember to turn off the juice before you try to enter the space. Otherwise, your hair-do may well take on a different appearance. :x :p

Grumpy.

That so funny. I have long hair. I can just picture that .

I do have electric fence i could put it up.But i have dogs. I dont want my dogs getting zapped.I have a very soft heart for animals. I could put it up higher as i have smaller dogs. I have to talk to hubby on this. But this might be a great idea. If i can do it somehow with out the dogs getting it. I would do it.
THANKS GRUMPY.

Mary Ann:

Since this is your post, I'd like to tell you a "true-story" that happened about 80 years ago.

My grandpa and grandma were living in a small home in Parkville, Missouri at the time. Just a quiet, college town with little to nothing going on. However, there was a group of dogs that ran wild and always got into folk's trash cans. Grandma really got to "chewing" on Grandpa's fanny over her having to go out and clean up the mess every morning once the marauding pack of canines had passed.

Grandpa was a "thinker". He always studied a problem until he arrived at a reasonable solution. Then...he acted upon is decision. He "solved" the dog problem thusly: He went to the local junk-yard and found a piece of sheet-metal about 2 feet square. Next, he scrounged a rubber floor mat from an old abandoned car. Without being caught, Grandpa stole one of Grandma's long extension cords and "cut" the receptacle end off of it. Then, he "split" the two wires until he had about four feet of single wire in each hand.

Here's the "trap" he set: He laid the sheet metal under the metal trash can on the back porch. Next, he set the rubber car mat (his insulator) between the trash can and the sheet metal. He took one end of the split extension cord and "attached" it to the sheet metal. The other wire, he attached to the handle of the metal trash can. Late that night, he plugged the male end of the extension cord into an outlet inside the kitchen door. He smiled cunningly and went to bed. All of this, he did unbeknownst to my Grandma.

Now, you've got to understand that my grandpa was born in 1898. He could well remember the marching bands before, during, and after WW1. He was always impressed with the large bass drums and loud, clanging cymbals that accompanied these boisterous groups. Soundly asleep, he felt sure he was dreaming once again of those days gone by when he was a young boy watching those men in their fancy uniforms marching down the main streets of so many towns during that period of history.

That is, until he heard the high-shrieking caterwauling of a woman's voice that accompanied those banging sounds. Grandma had gone out and was going to "empty-the-trash"!! However, when she paused, she placed her toes on the sheet metal. When she grabbed the trash can handle...she created a "ciruit" with her body being the conduit through which the current flowed.....generously!!! She would shriek, try to throw the lid, bang the can, and shriek once more.

Granpa's "invention" was, in theory, a success. However, with consideration for Grandma's uncontrollable nervous twitching over the next several days, it was an abject failure. Not to mention her negative attitude to his presence in their home. Grandpa did a lot of fishing following that experiment.

Grumpy

I bet it was Grandpa's job to take out the trash from then on, too! :lol:

Ever see the look on a male dogs face when it has heisted on an electric fence? They never heist there again!!!

A friend of mine told me about her grandmother's roses-- "something" was leaving a lot of urine smell behind-- so, she hooked up some e fence wire around the bed, in and out of the bushes, well hidden. Some hours later, she heard one of her sons scream in pain--- Yep, he had been watering the roses....

And I recall, on Car Talk a few years ago, Tom and Ray suggested electrifying a car to get goats to stay off of it...

electricity can be our friend---

A hot wire should work well, my breeder has a section of her backyard enclosed with two, the bottom is about 14" off the ground & the top is the same distance from the bottom wire. She's had coyotes learn quickly the avoid her yard. I would turn the fence on at night & off during the day if you don't want your dogs to get zapped.

Had a baby barn cat get into the hot wire behind the barn one time :x :x

When it turned the corner, it's tail was the size of a push broom. :lol: :lol:

Grumpy

Latest posts

Back