Dog Crate to Rabbit cage

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We
I just started raising rabbits again. There are rattlesnakes in my new area. Scary! Is the 1/2 x 1 inch wire safe? But not the 1x2 inch?
We use 1/2 inch hardware cloth and critterfence. Our rabbits live in 2 small sheds in the backyard and have free range of the structures. They are not caged. If your rabbits are raised traditionally in cages suspended above ground, you may not have problems because rattlesnakes are not great climbers (they can climb, but not as well as some other snakes).

Rattlesnakes in our area can get through 1 inch openings. I really don’t know about 1/2 x 1 inch. It may be ok.

We live in an area that has rattlesnakes but rarely saw them until we got rabbits. We started seeing them much more frequently after getting rabbits. Our Rex doe was bitten by a rattlesnake in the leg but survived - that was back when we allowed her to graze on the lawn in a kennel with 1 inch openings. For the first 2 days we thought for sure she was going to die, but she had an amazing recovery and after a month you wouldn’t have known she had ever been bitten. Gosh, we’ve learned a lot this summer!

The extra large dog crates initially purchased for the Collies have become wonderful cages for the Satin Angoras. I installed 1/2 x1” wire in the bottom. It allows them stand up and have room above for a ledge. My bucks really like this setup.
By chance can you share a photo of your converted dog crate? Thank you!

We

We use 1/2 inch hardware cloth and critterfence. Our rabbits live in 2 small sheds in the backyard and have free range of the structures. They are not caged. If your rabbits are raised traditionally in cages suspended above ground, you may not have problems because rattlesnakes are not great climbers (they can climb, but not as well as some other snakes).

Rattlesnakes in our area can get through 1 inch openings. I really don’t know about 1/2 x 1 inch. It may be ok.

We live in an area that has rattlesnakes but rarely saw them until we got rabbits. We started seeing them much more frequently after getting rabbits. Our Rex doe was bitten by a rattlesnake in the leg but survived - that was back when we allowed her to graze on the lawn in a kennel with 1 inch openings. For the first 2 days we thought for sure she was going to die, but she had an amazing recovery and after a month you wouldn’t have known she had ever been bitten. Gosh, we’ve learned a lot this summer!
There are rattlesnakes in Washington state? GAAAA

Since winter will be here soon in Illinois, well we have until Thanksgiving usually, but it's time to build rabbit houses. I want to have ramps going up to them to save floor space in the cages. My question is shouldn't I build them with the floors being 1/2 in wire since they urinate in them? Will they stay warm enough outside this winter in these houses? I will block the whole cage from wind and also give them a house. Also is it OK to bed them with straw?

Since winter will be here soon in Illinois, well we have until Thanksgiving usually, but it's time to build rabbit houses. I want to have ramps going up to them to save floor space in the cages. My question is shouldn't I build them with the floors being 1/2 in wire since they urinate in them? Will they stay warm enough outside this winter in these houses? I will block the whole cage from wind and also give them a house. Also is it OK to bed them with straw?
I’m rearranging rabbits right now, well for the last week actually, so I don’t have pictures yet but what I did was use a solid floor in the hole and a ramp to the roof of the hole. They don’t pee in there, at least mine don’t. The whole bottom is wire except for the hidey hole floor. I give them lots of bedding in the cold weather.

I’m rearranging rabbits right now, well for the last week actually, so I don’t have pictures yet but what I did was use a solid floor in the hole and a ramp to the roof of the hole. They don’t pee in there, at least mine don’t. The whole bottom is wire except for the hidey hole floor. I give them lots of bedding in the

I’m rearranging rabbits right now, well for the last week actually, so I don’t have pictures yet but what I did was use a solid floor in the hole and a ramp to the roof of the hole. They don’t pee in there, at least mine don’t. The whole bottom is wire except for the hidey hole floor. I give them lots of bedding in the cold weather.
My handyman is coming tomorrow. I think we will build boxes instead of fixing the shower. It's just a little leak. The price of cage wire is ridiculous right now. I'll make them so the bottom can slide out to clean.

My handyman is coming tomorrow. I think we will build boxes instead of fixing the shower. It's just a little leak. The price of cage wire is ridiculous right now. I'll make them so the bottom can slide out to clean.
You’re not kidding! I am shocked by the cost of the wire too and am trying hard not to waste any. I’ve made several hay feeders with the scraps and have a few more to do. Doing a very thorough cleaning while rearranging the bunnies. Trying to customize each cage for the occupant. Really can’t wait for the barn to be ready for the rabbits. Tired of juggling!
I don’t blame you for prioritizing your boxes over plumbing. Love it!
We left the pan in the crates as well and I don’t regret it.

You’re not kidding! I am shocked by the cost of the wire too and am trying hard not to waste any. I’ve made several hay feeders with the scraps and have a few more to do. Doing a very thorough cleaning while rearranging the bunnies. Trying to customize each cage for the occupant. Really can’t wait for the barn to be ready for the rabbits. Tired of juggling!
I don’t blame you for prioritizing your boxes over plumbing. Love it!
We left the pan in the crates as well and I don’t regret it.
It's raining steady and the 7 week olds are getting a little wet in the new hutch. Didn't want to cover the wire sides yet but looks like I will have to. They want to lay along side the hutch cage walls instead of getting in their houses. It's 60 something temperature. They have a big wood nesting box with straw and a big cardboard box with a hole to hide in and they are laying along side them getting a little wet. Looks like I'll be getting a little wet also. DRAT

Latest posts

Back