Does weight

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzy9

Reaction score
I have a doe who absolutely refuses to breed, and I've tried literally everything with her to get her to stand. I've heard reference to does who clamp down, are to heavy, but my question is, when it's not obvious, how do you know they are to heavy? I know that sounds like a silly question, but this particular doe comes from a line that is large, and she's a big doe herself. But I can feel points on her spine, and as my vet showed me how to judge body condition, she is not carrying alot of chunk between her shoulder blades. My thought is that she could be carrying to much fat in the belly, but would this be the case? Can they be carrying excess belly fat, and be perfectly conditioned in the other areas that would typically be used to judge body condition?

Being overweight wouldn't prevent her from lifting for the buck, but it might cause her not to conceive. From your description she doesn't sound overweight.

Sorry, :) she's a NZ, and 10 1/2 lbs. She's right in line with where her parents are weight wise, so I haven't really thought she was to bad, but I have read a couple places on the forum now about weight being part of the problem.

I should add to, that this particular doe has had 2 or 3 episodes of false pregnancies before this, and she is mounting the buck to breed him, but every time the buck (bucks since I've tried 3 different ones now) try to mount her, she clamps down to the floor, or climbs up in the corner. The other thing she's doing is scrounging around the bucks cage for every bit of hay or pellets she can find while the buck is trying to breed, not even paying attention to him, all while this other chaos is going on. My other thought was this is just a doe with whacked out hormones, and not one we want in our breeding line up.

I recently saw two ideas that might help. One was to put two does in with the buck- one that you know will lift for him, and your "prudish" doe. It may get her "in the mood". The other is to house her next to the buck for a couple of days and then try her with him.<br /><br />__________ Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:01 am __________<br /><br />
tnelsonfla":9h5luue6 said:
You could try putting her on hay and water for a few days then try.

"It's bread and vater for you, Fraulein! Ve haff vays of making you cooperate!" :injail:

fuzzy9":2zp9opf8 said:
My other thought was this is just a doe with whacked out hormones, and not one we want in our breeding line up.

Just about what I was thinking. Not all does are good breeders. you might want to try MSD's suggestions and also try the Celestial Seasonings Raspberry Zinger tea. But if those tricks don't work, then (if she were mine) I'd say rabbit pie.

She is across the isle from one of my bucks, but I could move her down to put her by a buck as well. Have tried the tea.......it was a bust. It just shouldn't be this hard, and I agree with you Maggie, not all does are breeders. Especially being from a line of very easy breeders. If moving her doesn't work, and she's not going to do her job, with feed $23 a bag sadly she's worth more to as meat.

__________ Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:20 am __________

MamaSheepdog":1e9gjkkr said:
"It's bread and vater for you, Fraulein! Ve haff vays of making you cooperate!" :injail:

25r30wi.gif

fuzzy9":jmd5usmq said:
It just shouldn't be this hard, and I agree with you Maggie, not all does are breeders.

:( Do you remember reading about my doe Jasper who jumped out of her cage and broke her leg? She is fully recovered and has regained most of the weight she lost (if not all- I'll have to check again), but she wouldn't lift even when her vent was purple. I have tried several times. I am going to give her some more chances, but it is not looking good. I have a soft spot for her, so culling wont be easy. :(

Awe, I do remember MSD. :( Sorry it's not working out for her either. I do agree with you, it will be hard, and my doe, Thumper, is a sweetie too. I do get attached too, but the reality is, I need to keep production going for the reasons I have these rabbits. If I don't, and I don't have enough meat in the house, it's not a good situation.

MaggieJ":2pvf0wjr said:
How long has it been since the injury?

It was June 19th- so 14 weeks. I tried breeding her a couple of weeks ago, on the 11th and after, so it was 12 weeks after the injury. Even though she is sound and hops up into her bunnybucket, I figured she might know something I don't. Her last litter was born May 24th.<br /><br />__________ Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:20 am __________<br /><br />I just weighed her again, and she is 8lbs 8oz, up 4oz from the 11th. Her condition looks good, although I have her highest weight at 9lbs 6oz. I think she may have been a bit heavy before.

tnelsonfla":1d6sheuv said:
You could try putting her on hay and water for a few days then try.

"It's bread and vater for you, Fraulein! Ve haff vays of making you cooperate!" :injail:[/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:<br /><br />__________ Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:00 pm __________<br /><br />
fuzzy9":1d6sheuv said:
I don't have enough meat in the house, it's not a good situation.
that is funny. It is the same here. If they dont produce by there 3rd time mating. In the freezer you go. I dont care about large litters. It is about pulling your own weight.

Same situation. I just informed my breeder that I will probably cull my very lovely chin doe, and the REw that both are 90 days plus from kindling and won't lift. I have culled both litters from that chin, they were scrawny, awful things. So pretty, but so useless.

skysthelimit":3q5736hg said:
So pretty, but so useless.

That just strikes me as funny! It could describe so many things in this world. :lol:

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":3q5736hg said:
I dont care about large litters. It is about pulling your own weight.

Me either.........I'm quite happy with 6 or 7 kits, they seem to grow better here, and they don't take as long to reach 5 lbs.

You may have to "force breed" or hold and position her for the buck once or twice so she gets the idea....

Neither of my bucks will mount a doe if I get involved, they just look at me like I'm strange or something. Have tried that route. Any ideas on what I can do about that?

fuzzy9":18f0qa68 said:
Neither of my bucks will mount a doe if I get involved, they just look at me like I'm strange or something. Have tried that route. Any ideas on what I can do about that?

I have one buck, thankfully it's my herd sire Elmo, who will mount my hand if I'm in the way. He doesn't care. The little holland buck is the same way, tries to mount the doe hand and all from the moment I get her feet on the ground. Back away if I'm looking at them.

We ended up culling this doe, and Dave said when he opened her up, she was loaded with fat. I try to separate out my keepers earlier from the culls, but I think I'm going to have to make more of a conscious effort to pay more attention to how much I'm feeding. The thing is, she didn't feel fat on her top line, or in her shoulder blade area, and she didn't "look" fat, especially coming from a bigger line of rabbits. But, I've got another one acting in a similar manner now too. These does are some of the first keepers that we kept right about the time we started feeding Pen Pals, and it probably is a matter of feeding to many ounces as they were growing.

Out of curiosity, can anyone tell me on an average, how many ounces of pelleted feed you give to the following age groups? Mine are all New Zealands. If you feed Pen Pal.......even better! :lol:

A. 6 - 12 week old does (1 1/2 - 3 months), separated into individual cages.
B. 3 - 5 month junior does
C. 5 - 7 month non-working does

Back