Does this look normal?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cottie

Reaction score
So we inspected the ML buck. And we found...a penis that opens fully like a vulva? :shock: I checked on Gilligan, and while he did almost take off a few clumps of my arm, he only has a small slit in his penis.

Light pressure, yet more than I need to extend Gilligan or Skipper.
DSC_0554.jpg

Even more pressure. It all opens like a vulva.
DSC_0555.jpg

Split penis? Say it ain't so. I don't want to cull another one...

I'm pretty sure it's all the way out. He's never shown a true interest in humping, just a few seconds here or there before doing something else.

I agree that it doesn't look fully extended. It should be about an inch long. Try again?

Flemishstar":7mxb0fal said:
ya i remember that happening to me when my bucks were young...thats why I said that :)
How young? This one is almost 5 months old (4 months 3 weeks).

lol .....That young!!!! it was hard for me to tell until well into 5 months!!! some develop differently thanthers, try again early in the morning, or after eating

Phew. OK. I'm so sick of culling rabbits.

I'll recheck him tomorrow morning, then every week or so. My dog's testicles hadn't descended by 6 months...maybe this bunny has a penicular problem that will resolve with age...

lol,,,, you'll be fine lol i love that word "penicular" lol.....I cant wait for my doe to kindle then we'll be allset, keep us updated im curious now

Does he have descended testes? You are SURE it is a buck? If so, I would say split penis.....

That looks like a
SPLIT P! Oh my does it look like it!
Sorry, but I would CULL that rabbit,
you do not want to use him in any breeding program.
As always, JMPO.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

No descended testicles yet. I bought him as a buck. When I flip him over with his head in the crook of my arm and check, it looks for all the world like a penis. The only reason we really noticed was I said, "Still a buck" and my daughter (standing at another angle) said, "Looks like a girl from over here."

I just checked again. He has two lumps that look like they could be testicles, they're just very small. Almost like little beans under his skin.

Sometimes, giving them a good shake, like you would a ketchup bottle, (don't laugh, it works!)will cause the testes to drop. Can you see the scrotum at all? You should be able to see that at least.

Can't tell for sure. Looks like a "she" to me.

Put "it" in a cage with another buck. Or at least put it halfway in and don't let go... gloves and long sleeves. If it is a buck they will try to fight immediately.

>.> um..I cant tell from the pic if that is a girl or a boy...kinda looks like a cross between the two to tell the truth...so um maybe you managed to get a hermaphrodite? If you did a perfectly balanced one (not to much male or to much female) can get itself pregnant...so they can be really tricky to keep. Most of the time when it looks like that it is just a split penis but herms are possible in rabbits just not really common. Not sure how you would check though, not without a vets help that is.

I had a hermaphrodite.

Grew like a weed and I thought it was a 'she' so kept her back as a replacement, 'she' was very sweet and at around 4 months I noticed her mounting so I pulled her out to see if she showed signs of breeding readyness and a small penis was sticking out. Further inspection showed two scrotal sacks.

I culled 'her' and there was no uterus that I could find and two tiny pea sized testicles or ovaries. Very odd.

Back