"doe wont breed/take"

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secuono

Reaction score
Found this, maybe this is why some does have no interest and/or cannot/will not take and become pregnant.

"Ovulation

The rabbit belongs to a group of mammals which do not ovulate spontaneously. There is no oestrus cycle. Ovulation requires stimulus of mating and thus induced in nature. Sexual stimulation with copulation or in response to exogenous, gonadotropins, ovulation takes place. Sometime females may stimulate each other to the point of stimulation. This type of ovulation is expected in does becoming pseudo pregnant or sterile for few days. Ovulation is apt to occur within the range of 9-13 hours. But, generally it takes place at 10 hours following mating.It is thought that does may remain in constant heat throughout the year or in breeding season. But, it is known that follicles develop and regress in cycles of 15-16 days. There is a lack period when the doe may loose interest for the buck. Ovulation can also be induced through mechanical stimulation of vagina."

"A doe whether is in heat condition or not is difficult to recognize outwardly. But, does may show some manifestations like restlessness, nervousness, rubbing of head and chin on the side of the cage or other objects. The vulva becomes swollen and purple in colour. But, acceptability of the does to the bucks or does reaction to bucks should be taken as a criteria for heat. Therefore, detection of heat through buck should be made before allowing for copulation.

The approximate age of first mating is around 5-6 months of age. As a rule doe should be taken to the cage of buck but never be done vice versa to avoid fighting. Early morning and early evening are the most conducive time for mating. A receptive doe will lift her tail and allow mating. Males vary greatly in their sexual drive. A buck may be slow in performing the service to a strange cage. If a buck is virile and doe in perfect heat, mating will occur almost immediately. After successful mating the buck usually produces a typical cry and falls down to one side of the doe. One mating is usually sufficient. If a female does not allow in that case keeper should wait for 3 to 4 days or assist in mating holding the female. After mating the doe should be returned to her cage."

This is something I am reading more and more people seem not to care to do.
"Quantity of feed should be increased for 10 to 15 days of pregnancy. Plenty of fresh water should be provided. Environmental stresses should be avoided as far as possible."

"Pregnancy can be detected by various methods:

(a)Through palpation of abdomen by which embryos can be felt by hand. This is best done at about two weeks after mating. This technique can be perfectly done through experience.

(b)Placing the buck near the doe for mating. A buck may not mate the pregnant one.

(c)Uterine swelling-uterus may swell up to 12 mm at 9 days after mating. It may reach 20 mm at 13 days. Only experienced keeper may be able to predict the changes accurately.

(d) Changes in body weight-There are significant change in body weight from mating up to 30 days. Average gain of around 300-400 gm has been suggested from mating to 30 days in large sized rabbit."

~~~ http://agritech.tnau.ac.in/animal_husba ... abbit.html<br /><br />__________ Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:02 pm __________<br /><br />Info some people seem to ignore, why is that?

This infomation links to a site in India and I couldnt back track to where they got the information from and what date it was published. I believe it is for a commercial operation and it is pretty generic stuff.

Quantity of feed should be increased for <last> 10 to 15 days of pregnancy. Plenty of fresh water should be provided. Environmental stresses should be avoided as far as possible."
I believe the term 'last' should be included in this statement. And most people I know start free feeding their does when they are pregnant.

In commercial operations, the rabbits are much more skittish since they are not handled and live in a sheltered barn so, yes, buggin such a doe can cause her to absorb or aort her litter. I think most rabbit hobbist try and ensure their bunnies live as stress free life as possible, but they are exposed to and become acclimitized to much more sights and sounds than a rabbit who has spent its whole life looking at walls and other rabbits.

it is known that follicles develop and regress in cycles of 15-16 days. There is a lack period when the doe may loose interest for the buck.
This is why in commercial operations they breed back after kindling, then about 2 weeks (14 days) later they palpitate and re-breed as needed and use the does responsiveness to the buck as an indicator....
" The vulva becomes swollen and purple in colour. But, acceptability of the does to the bucks or does reaction to bucks should be taken as a criteria for heat. Therefore, detection of heat through buck should be made before allowing for copulation.
Most people do not breed back so closely, as they like to give their girls a rest period so they will live past 3 years without needing to be replaced. Keeping track of their 16 day cycles for 4 months can be a hassle, especially when you have a buck to do the job for you.

does may show some manifestations like restlessness, nervousness, rubbing of head and chin on the side of the cage or other objects.
because many treat their rabbits as pets as well as breeders and a meat source, these activities can also just be play and are not always a reliable indicator of receptiveness.

Average gain of around 300-400 gm has been suggested from mating to 30 days in large sized rabbit."
A large breed doe who is not pregnant and on free fed rations could also gain this much weight in a month, especially in the winter then they are geared to store as much fat as possible.

I think most people do try and follow these guidelines but not to the letter. Most people know that fat rabbits dont get pregnant or have lower fertility so they are leary of overfeeding, and rightfully so.

I would think that in a hot and humid country like India their rabbits would experience heat infertility, they would not be big eaters and would actually try and keep themselves lean to help handle the heat and their keepers need all the tricks in the book to get their does pregnant on a regular basis.

If you have ever tried it, not every buck will accept your hand in the cage at the time of mating, no matter how friendly he is.

Just because it is published somewhere, doesn't mean it is the only way or even the correct way. I prefer to go by the guidelines published in Rabbit Production. A lot of that information IS stuff that we, rabbit breeders as a whole, DO follow.

Yes, rabbits are "induced ovulators"...they don't ovulated until stimulated to do so.

Yes, there are times the doe is not interested...that is normal.

Yes, the buck *may* not breed a pregnant doe...but then again he might...and she might let him. Test breeding is not accurate.

Yes, I have noticed that pregnant does gain 1/2lb to 1lb during gestation. Not having an Ultrasound machine, I cannot measure uterine swelling in millimeters.

Remember, the results of this paper were likely gotten in a lab environment, and may or may not correlate to our experiences.

I think you guys are over thinking this.
It was just to give some info that sometimes people seem to not take into account.
That's all...

ChickiesnBunnies":2zkurqyf said:
I think you guys are over thinking this.
It was just to give some info that sometimes people seem to not take into account.
That's all...

Hmm..maybe... :) But most of that is stuff that I DO take into account...maybe that is why it threw me? :thinking:

Idk, it just sometimes feels like some people randomly wonder and not think about this stuff. I have no idea, don't remember who, but I saw a lot of posts about this kinda stuff and thought I'd add this for people to mull over.

ChickiesnBunnies":1e6r8251 said:
Idk, it just sometimes feels like some people randomly wonder and not think about this stuff. I have no idea, don't remember who, but I saw a lot of posts about this kinda stuff and thought I'd add this for people to mull over.

Definitely good food for thought!

Latest posts

Back