Doe started attacking the only kit at 3.5 weeks

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LionheadBuns

Reaction score
The doe in question is rather aggressive and will be going to a pet home. She had two stillborn kits and one living. She had been doing pretty well with the single kit, checking on him often. I think it was around 2 weeks that he started coming out of the nesting box. He loves attention and will run up for cuddles.
The doe doesn't like people, or other rabbits. I'm not sure if that's why she suddenly turned on him? He's eating alfalfa and pellets. Also been drinking water and is fairly active. He does like to nap the day away. Will he be ok without feedings at this age? She tries going after him when I put him in there run. I want to avoid bottle feeding. I lost a few kits that way. Any advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• 20210830_175514.jpg
    20210830_175514.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210901_130704.jpg
    20210901_130704.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 3
What is she doing when she goes after the kit? I've seen does use their head to push kits away around this age. Kits start exploring and try to feed every time they see mom, but mom only wants to feed them certain times of day.
Another idea is making the nest area harder for the young kit to escape.
You could bottle feed at this age easier since it is also eating solids but might benefit from more nutrients and fat in milk.

She's ripping her fur out and chasing him around the cage. It's like a flip got switched. I tried putting him in again this morning, she licked his face for a bit. He didn't seem to mind and happily pounced on top of her food. He's a bit piggy from being the only surviving kit. I thought that was a good sign, so I went into the other room. When I came back he had escaped the 1.5ft high enclosure and was sitting on his sleeping carrier. I have no clue how he cleared that. So I'm assuming she went after him again. I'm guessing my best bet is to put him in the morning and evening under supervision?

The doe in question is rather aggressive and will be going to a pet home. She had two stillborn kits and one living. She had been doing pretty well with the single kit, checking on him often. I think it was around 2 weeks that he started coming out of the nesting box. He loves attention and will run up for cuddles.
The doe doesn't like people, or other rabbits. I'm not sure if that's why she suddenly turned on him? He's eating alfalfa and pellets. Also been drinking water and is fairly active. He does like to nap the day away. Will he be ok without feedings at this age? She tries going after him when I put him in there run. I want to avoid bottle feeding. I lost a few kits that way. Any advice is appreciated!
I lost my doe when her kits were 2.5 weeks old, they survived on pellets and hay. I also gave them at least one bowl of KMR with 1 part cream to 2 parts formula once a day to make sure they had that boost

IMHO an aggressive rabbit that don't like people should not go to a pet home.

1. DO NOT sell that doe into a pet home. Turn her into food or sell her at an animal auction. You should not subject a pet person with an aggressive rabbit. It won't end well for either party.
2. at 3.5 weeks the kit will be fine without milk.
3. if the doe is actively attacking the kit do not keep them together. I'd be hesitant to even bring the kit to her, it's not worth the stress and potential damage that could be done to it.

Thank you for the responses. He's just over 4 weeks now and seems to be getting along well. I tried letting her see him again, but she wasn't having it. Luckily the only thing she'll do to me (so far) is lunge and scratch at me. So I was able to get him out of there with no injuries to either of us. I'm just surprised that she would be such a good mother for those first few weeks, then want nothing to do with him. I guess that's how it goes sometimes I'm a little worried he'll suffer in the future from being weaned so young. But I guess that's just how it has to be.

Latest posts

Back