Doe scratching at 1-2 weeks

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverFeather

Reaction score
Hello all, I am new and hope this is the right place to post this question.

One of my does had her first litter a couple of months ago. At the 2 week mark she started digging furiously at the corners of her cage every night, though she wasn't hay-stashing. In an attempt to settle her down, we gave her a nest box. She set to work building a nest for a couple of days, then settled down without any more digging. It was so early that we thought it might be a false pregnancy, but on day 31 she had a healthy litter of 6 kits, who all grew up and are all weaned at this point. She never used the nest as a litter box, and once she built her nest she pretty much ignored it until the night of.

A week ago we bred her again, along with another doe. I am starting to see both of them scratching at their cages now, though not as desperately. It is so early, it seems really abnormal to give my does nest boxes now. Are they really trying to make nests this early? and is that tendency genetic? Should I give in and give them both nest boxes, or should I wait?

I bought my breeders four months ago, and the first litter I mentioned was my first time breeding rabbits. Any advice would be very welcome!

I have American Chinchillas, all of my rabbits came from the same rabbitry. My does are related, one's grandmother is the other's mother. I have my rabbits setup so that I can see them through the window, so I spend a lot of time watching what they are up to.

it's OK, just make sure she doesn't start using it as a bathroom..
Some does, and some maternal lines, are prone to nest building early on..
It's not a bad thing..
I suppose, it is a maternal instinct , that is not bread out of them yet...
I give them some straw to play with , and let them build a nest on/in a corner of the cage...
I put the nest in the nest box, and place the box in the same place as her nest was, on day 28...

Does do what they want. :lol: It's actually their instinct to dig tunnels and warrens, not just for nesting purposes, but being pregnant certainly makes the urge go into overdrive for some does!

If I see mine acting like they want to nest though, I always give them a box, partially just-in-case, and maybe partially just out of kindness or empathy.

All the digging can be pretty rough on your boxes over time though. ;)

Back