doe over a year old

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what purpose?

Pet - no problem

A couple litters a year - I'd take a chance if she was worth the asking price

More than 3 litters a year - no way

I'm a newbie so take my experience with a grain of salt but one of our recent litters was from a year and 1/2 old doe and it was her first litter. Everything has been smooth (other than she is a little over protective). She is a wonderful Momma. Her kits are the fattest!

If she has really exceptional bloodlines and qualities that you want in your herd and you can't get those anywhere else- and the price is low enough to justify the risk- I would do it. Maybe.

But otherwise, I wouldn't take the chance unless you don't mind absorbing the loss if you can't get her bred.

Then again- aren't we taking a risk every time we buy a rabbit? None of them come with any guarantees of making it through quarantine, let alone breeding successfully... so go with your gut.

Personally- I buy bucks. You can put a buck to so many more does in a short period of time to see if they cross well with your lines, and even if they should die for some unexpected reason in a month or two you already have multiple litters on the ground from them.

Sagebrush":4xeix7vy said:
MSD, when you buy the bucks, how many chances do they get before you ummm "move them on" to the freezer?

Honestly, I can't tell you yet. I just recently brought in outside bloodlines.

I bought one chocolate otter buck maybe 5 months ago and a black otter at Convention last month. The first buck has kits that are 10-12 weeks old, and the Convention buck hasn't been bred yet... although he seems to have made it through his quarantine period with no issues, so that is about to change! :p :mrgreen: :p

I think I will reserve the decision until I breed a doe kit back to the sire to see what that brings out.

I ask only because I have a buck that I have bred to each of does and got nothing from those crosses. It wasn't until I crossed them to other bucks that got any litters.

Ah- well that's different. Do you know how old he is? Could he have had heat sterility? Have you checked him for a split penis?

He is 2 1/2 years old. He does not have a split and he also has both "bits". He works hard but I am getting nothing from him. I would allow for 2-3 fall offs per doe at one doe per day for 4 days. I would think that something would have taken by now though. :shrug:

Back