Doe not using nest box, soon to kindle

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KelleyBee

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I have a first-time mom trying to build nests on the wire in the 2 rear corners of her cage. She started this behavior before it was time to put in the nest box, so I gave her a shallow cardboard box which she shredded to smithereens overnight, and then continued to try making nests in the back 2 corners on the wire. So I gave her the nest box lined with cardboard (this is a brand new nest box) but otherwise empty. She eventually got the cardboard out and tore it up. No nest in the box. So yesterday (the day of the photo) was the actual day I was to give the prepared nest box, so I filled it with hay. Next thing she does is grab a bundle in her mouth and starts building in the corners on the wire again. I'm a new rabbit keeper and she's a first-time mom, so together neither of us are sure what to do.B2FBEFD2-854E-4623-B3C9-2C775A323437.jpeg

Maybe block one corner and put the nesting box in the other corner. I am not sure if it will work but maybe give it a try.

How did things go?
She figured it out. I actually ended up putting in 2 nesting boxes. This provided her with less desirable cage floor space and more nesting decision space. When she finally made her decision and built a decent nest in one, I took the other box away. A week later I ended up having to do the exact same thing in the cage of her sister. These are both silver foxes, both bred for the first time at 8 months. By contrast, my NZ/Cal mix doe kindled for the first time last week, not one issue with nest building. It’s like she was born knowing exactly what to do. She’s 5 months old. However, she’s displayed exceptional intelligence as compared to all of my breeder rabbits since I’ve had her at 8 weeks, so her innate performance as a mom doesn’t surprise me. She also is the only doe who, when put in with a male, knew precisely why she was there and eagerly accepted him. All 3 of my other breeder does act like they’ve been given a death sentence when put in with a male. I’m new to this rabbit husbandry thing, but I already know that I prefer a doe who eagerly accepts a buck and who is an intelligent and instinctive mom. It will be interesting moving forward as I try to groom my herd to resemble those qualities.

Isn't it amazing to watch their instincts in action? I think it's one of my favorite things about all of this. Watching my does build a beautiful nest and take care of their babies.

I feed grass hay in a can/feeder to all my does, so most of my rabbits start "carrying" 7-14 days before they are due. That is my sign to put the box in the cage. Most mommas then jump in, scratch around for a while, and then carry as much hay as they can find into the box. Fur pulling follows, soon, or closer to kindling.
For the few mommas who don't follow this routine, I wait until a day or so before their due date I put the box in if they have not yet started carrying.
If they STILL don't use it after a day, I then COVER the floor (and in the box) with hay (I have baby-saver wire) then wherever they have the kits, they tend to pull fur and cover the kits. (of course, them NOT carrying, may mean no pregnancy)
Of course, I am checking my due mommas every few hours from then until kindling. So, when I find the kits, if not in the box, I just grab some of the hay from the floor, stuff it into the box and place all the kits in it and cover with whatever fur I can scoop up from the cage. If it's not enough, I have a bag FULL of excess rabbit fur that has been provided by some of my SUPER pullers :)
All mommas who kindle outside of the box are usually very curious about what's IN THERE NOW have then been willing to jump into the box and check it out, which usually results in the kits getting fed. Things usually go on well from there.

I feed grass hay in a can/feeder to all my does, so most of my rabbits start "carrying" 7-14 days before they are due. That is my sign to put the box in the cage. Most mommas then jump in, scratch around for a while, and then carry as much hay as they can find into the box. Fur pulling follows, soon, or closer to kindling.
For the few mommas who don't follow this routine, I wait until a day or so before their due date I put the box in if they have not yet started carrying.
If they STILL don't use it after a day, I then COVER the floor (and in the box) with hay (I have baby-saver wire) then wherever they have the kits, they tend to pull fur and cover the kits. (of course, them NOT carrying, may mean no pregnancy)
Of course, I am checking my due mommas every few hours from then until kindling. So, when I find the kits, if not in the box, I just grab some of the hay from the floor, stuff it into the box and place all the kits in it and cover with whatever fur I can scoop up from the cage. If it's not enough, I have a bag FULL of excess rabbit fur that has been provided by some of my SUPER pullers :)
All mommas who kindle outside of the box are usually very curious about what's IN THERE NOW have then been willing to jump into the box and check it out, which usually results in the kits getting fed. Things usually go on well from there.
My Rex first time doe kindled three days ago in her crate. Outdoors. 4 kits. Still alive...no hair pulled for nest, Some hair, scattered all over - maybe because she is not contained? Anyway, deep bed of alfalfa hay and tonight as temps dip into the 40s, I built a lambswool wall around her (raw wool from a ram I sheared.). NO idea what will happen, but had to give her and them the option of wind block and warmth. Honestly not positive she's the doe so am afraid to lock out the other one. Pretty sure she is. feeling pretty clueless....

My Rex first time doe kindled three days ago in her crate. Outdoors. 4 kits. Still alive...no hair pulled for nest, Some hair, scattered all over - maybe because she is not contained? Anyway, deep bed of alfalfa hay and tonight as temps dip into the 40s, I built a lambswool wall around her (raw wool from a ram I sheared.). NO idea what will happen, but had to give her and them the option of wind block and warmth. Honestly not positive she's the doe so am afraid to lock out the other one. Pretty sure she is. feeling pretty clueless....
It's a good idea to keep a supply of nesting material handy -- and lambswool is an excellent choice. I used goose down because we had it handy, but feathers from a pillow, teased cotton batting etc. also work. Wool and down are the best choices in cold weather.

You might consider putting a blanket over the cage if it's cold, especially on the windward side. Do the kits have a nest box? That helps a lot too.

Last edited:
Good ideas. I moved them inside tonight. It’s going to be freezing. That was too cold for my comfort level.

Good ideas. I moved them inside tonight. It’s going to be freezing. That was too cold for my comfort level.
Oh, I'm glad you brought them in. I always did that when my rabbits were in individual cages. Later, in our colony in a shed with wooden nest tunnels, it wasn't necessary, but always better safe than sorry.

Oh, I'm glad you brought them in. I always did that when my rabbits were in individual cages. Later, in our colony in a shed with wooden nest tunnels, it wasn't necessary, but always better safe than sorry.
Wooden nest tunnels! Cool.

Do you have any photos of yours shed and wooden tunnels? Sounds amazing..

Last edited:
What are write ups?
"Write up" is a casual name for a written explanation about a subject.

A lot of people were interested in raising rabbits in a colony instead of in cages, so I often posted information about my colony -- the pleasures of raising rabbits that way, the good things about it, and some problems I encountered -- and solved -- along the way.

Back