Do you give your rabbits 2 or 3 times more food in freezing weather?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they don't. Depends on the rabbit, but generally speaking, they need the same amount as before. Winter does help keep some of the fat off. means they breed easier in the spring. As with everything, judge according to the condition of your rabbit. I have a dutch type rabbit that needs twice as much, but most of my buns do just fine on their regular ration.

Last edited:
I agree with Ladysown that in general they do not require more food in winter.

I will say, however, that in extreme cold spells I sometimes made them an enriched mix to replace their whole grain ration. I'd mix a big bowl of the grain, large flake oatmeal, black oil sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds if I had some -- things like that. I'd dissolve a spoonful of blackstrap molasses (NOT fancy molasses!) and a spoonful of sunflower oil and one of salt in a few ounces of boiling water and mix it well into the grain etc. It should not be damp -- if it is, mix in more grain or oatmeal.

I did not feed them more of this mix than their usual grain, but it was a richer mix that I thought helped offset the cold. I also tended to feed more root crops and even the odd baked potato at such times and less of the dried weeds and salad trimmings than usual.

Please remember that my rabbits were in a colony with opportunity to exercise. They were not getting pellets, and in winter the fresh and dried greens were fed in smaller quantities than in the summer. They had free choice alfalfa/grass hay as well year round and a trace salt mineral block which they used sparingly.

I'm not sure any of this was necessary ... It's just what I did. Comfort food for the buns.

I think any rabbit fed three times their usual ration in winter would be too fat to breed well by spring.

Back