Do they like being handled if they avoid you?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a7736100

Reaction score
Some of my rabbits avoid being caught but after being caught they are calm being held and stroked. I'm thinking maybe they don't really like it if they don't come to me like some of the others that come to the cage door nor avoid being touched. I even have one that would lick me but really avoid being stroked.

I find, - many rabbits [like people] do not like being handled, -- but once caught, they are OK with some attention. Some rabbits never do like to be caught, - but will accept attention, on their terms.. [and when they are in the mood] - I have had some, that did not ever want to be handled at all.

It always seems to me, that rabbits try harder to communicate with us than we do with them. It brings to mind my Mucky, hopping rapidly back and forth until she saw that she got someone's attention, and then grabbing and rattling whichever dish required filling. (food or water)

If they seem like they really dislike something, they probably aren't lying. To be honest, most rabbits dislike being grabbed or lifted.

You might make the catching process easier on them if that's the part they dislike. I know most rabbits specifically despise being pulled through small cage doors. Top opening cages with big doors, or pens that allow the rabbits to hop out on their own to socialize can help them get past that initial fear of being picked up.

Latest posts

Back