Do Rex rabbits survive cold winters?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

BuffBrahmaBantam

Reaction score
Someone once told me that Rex rabbits do not do well in cold climates due to lack of guard hairs. Is this true?? What is the coldest climate that you’ve known Rex to survive over winter?

I know rabbits are hardy animals in general and prefer cold to hot, so this comment surprised me when I heard it and I’d like input from experienced rabbit raisers.

Keag

Reaction score
There seems to be plenty of Rex Meat Rabbit breeders here in Maine. This will be my first winter with Rex & Satin so we shall see.

Reaction score
We've raised Rex along with Satins, Polish and Mini Rex in Alaska for over a decade. In Anchorage, where winter temps are usually 15-25 degrees F but with some periods of 20 below zero, we kept the rabbits in wire cages in a semi-enclosed shed (roof and walls, but not closed all the way to the roof). Where we live now it gets down to 20 to 30 below zero, and we have the rabbits in a 20' x 26' barn that is insulated but not heated. For the smaller rabbits, e.g. Polish and Mini Rex, we'll give them wood or cardboard boxes stuffed with hay or straw when the temps get really low. But we've never had any trouble with adult rabbits from the cold; lost some kits to popping out of nest boxes but that isn't related to the breed. The only trouble we've had with the Rex is that some lines seem to have a tendency to sore hocks. No problems with the cold, though. Their guard hairs are short but their coats are denser than normal fur.

BuffBrahmaBantam

Reaction score
We've raised Rex along with Satins, Polish and Mini Rex in Alaska for over a decade. In Anchorage, where winter temps are usually 15-25 degrees F but with some periods of 20 below zero, we kept the rabbits in wire cages in a semi-enclosed shed (roof and walls, but not closed all the way to the roof). Where we live now it gets down to 20 to 30 below zero, and we have the rabbits in a 20' x 26' barn that is insulated but not heated. For the smaller rabbits, e.g. Polish and Mini Rex, we'll give them wood or cardboard boxes stuffed with hay or straw when the temps get really low. But we've never had any trouble with adult rabbits from the cold; lost some kits to popping out of nest boxes but that isn't related to the breed. The only trouble we've had with the Rex is that some lines seem to have a tendency to sore hocks. No problems with the cold, though. Their guard hairs are short but their coats are denser than normal fur.
Thanks for the details! We rarely get below zero at our place so it sounds like my Rex should be perfectly alright.

Estrella

Reaction score
While i no longer have a Rex, it wasn’t one of my top breeds for cold hearty winters. I live in WI ( with it actually getting colder than Alaska these past few years thanks to polar vortexes!) but the top two breeds that continued to show up throughout research are Silver Fox and New Zealand’s.
I suppose it also depends on if your rabbit has been housed outside and if it’s used to temperatures fluctuating, or if it’s been always kept indoors and attempted to move outside. The later would stress a bun out if not used to outside temps.

HTAcres

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
While i no longer have a Rex, it wasn’t one of my top breeds for cold hearty winters. I live in WI ( with it actually getting colder than Alaska these past few years thanks to polar vortexes!) but the top two breeds that continued to show up throughout research are Silver Fox and New Zealand’s.
I suppose it also depends on if your rabbit has been housed outside and if it’s used to temperatures fluctuating, or if it’s been always kept indoors and attempted to move outside. The later would stress a bun out if not used to outside temps.
On the flip side of that, I have one Rex pair alongside my Tamuk and I would like to get another Rex doe but it is hard to find someone else here raising them outside. The people I know raising Rex here have them inside in AC. BTW, I lived in Waukesha for 6 years back in the 90's and one of my favorite places to live other than the sheer length of the winter (for someone who grew up in north Florida). I still miss my tulips!

BuffBrahmaBantam

Reaction score
On the flip side of that, I have one Rex pair alongside my Tamuk and I would like to get another Rex doe but it is hard to find someone else here raising them outside. The people I know raising Rex here have them inside in AC. BTW, I lived in Waukesha for 6 years back in the 90's and one of my favorite places to live other than the sheer length of the winter (for someone who grew up in north Florida). I still miss my tulips!
Where is Waukesha?

Latest posts