Do kits fed lots of hay + pellets attain their full size compared to kits fed pellets only?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MnCanary

Reaction score
The title is pretty much my question. I'm feeding kits all the pellets and hay they want. My understanding is that these kits will grow slower that kits fed a higher protein diet. Do these kits attain the same adult size as kits fed mostly pellets?

Just wondering. I don't anticipate feeding mostly pellets, as feeding hay seems to help the rabbits avoid a lot of problems.

Well I cannot speak from experience as I’ve always free-fed hay from the point of weaning…you’re right about the problems caused by lack of roughage, and while the pellets contain more protein and fat I’m not sure that they alone would do much good to a developing rabbit‘s digestive system. Balance is key, rabbits put weight on from eating good quality hay too and it wears their teeth better than pellets. I am more than happy to be corrected!

My daughter did a school project on this--the kits from the same litter were divided at weaning; those that were fed pellets grew bigger but were fattier, whereas the roughage group were less large en mass but lean. Their weights only differed by a few ounces at the end of the project (weighed daily from weaning to the end of the project). That is only one litter but is our experience.

EnglishSpot, that's a good project! Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. It would be interesting to follow both groups for a couple of years, and maybe through some rabbit shows.

I raise Tamuk for meat. I was concerned because on a breed group I saw that people were getting the best grow out rates with pellets only. I feed hay and forage in addiiton to pellets. Well, I've been at it a year and I just raised 3 litters that reached 5 lbs by the 12 week mark (90% of them). One buck was 6 lbs 6 oz. I am so delighted!! That doesn't answer your question but here is what I think - the ultimate mature size is going to be genetically determined if a rabbit is fed consistently with appropriate food while the timing of attaining that weight might be affected. Though the project reported above would indicate otherwise!

We open feed pellets n hay for the friers. And nursing does. Buck n does on a maintenance diet for the winter get a cup of pellets n hay full time.
I believe that rabbits need the fiber for a balanced diet and to keep their intestinal track working correctly.
I also believe they get other trace minerals needed to be healthy. So I feed willow, alder n birch sticks. Along with the hay. And to help reduce stress n keep teeth worn. Rabbits chew. Dried leaves are like potato chips n good for them. I like to have a couple bags for the winter n give them a handful as a healthy snack.
I believe there diet has to be as well balanced as possible. Nutritional foods.

Latest posts

Back