Do Flemish Giants need heated cages in this cold snap?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DANK

Reaction score
After many kind condolences & answers to my Flemish giant delima (them lasting only 3 yrs)
It seems both rabbits died from pneumonia (after reading through lots of forum post)
I am wondering if i heated the cage/heating pad for rabbits or made the cage less drafty
(it"s 2 dog cages attached outside under a Gazebo) they would of not gotten pneumonia.
Was thinking of switching breeds for a more robust rabbit (thanks MamaSheepdog for your photo of Cedar) But i like the huge Flemish giants & those kissable faces
:pancake:
Dan

Your location says Bay Area, I am assumming that is in California and if you are then cold is not likely your problem, but the draft might be.

Usually rabbits die of heat stroke before they die of cold and many members keep rabbits in unheated buildings and their cold snaps go down to minus 30 celcius (-22 in fahrenheit)

It sounds like you have them on the ground, so the dampness combined with the cold may have contributed to them catching pneumonia. A strong immune system will help them fight off disease so be sure they are getting the right diet, are not obese or too skinny and that they get regular exercise. Keeping them away from strange bunnies or making sure you wash your hands and clothes if you have been petting rabbits at the store or at a friends house will also help keep germs away from your rabbits.

If you do decide to get another rabbit, I would build a small wooden 'dog house' that is raised off the ground so they can avoid drafts and have a sheltered area from rain and such.

The giant breeds are prone to heart problems so ask the breeder who her oldest rabbit is, if it is only 5 then look elsewhere. Just like people, a healty diet and regular exercise will help keep their hearts strong, don't let them over do it and work up a sweat, so to speak, and unduly stress their hearts.

Good luck with your next bunny

Dood is right on. The cold should not bother them, as long as they are not in the wind.

It's possible that the stock you got wasn't very hardy. You may be able to get Flemmies from someone else.

I didn't know about the heart problems in giant breeds, Dood.

Thank you for the insiteful answer. My bunnies Are HUGE.. was thinking mabey another breeder too..
The cage is off the ground but no barrier for wind, "I will get on that"
Thanks

Dan

I am assuming that giant breed rabbits are sort of like giant breed dogs? As in they dont have as long of a lifespan as their smaller counterparts?

I have a 1 year old flemish giant that is my yard bunny, he hates being caged and will constantly pull on the cage (dog crate) wire, so I just let him live in the yard. He goes into the chicken coop at night and sleeps there, I have even seen him in the nestox :roll: Anyways he does just fine with the cold, he was actually out running in the snow last week, we got 5 inches. The heat is a different story, in the summer he has a burrow under the chicken coop he likes to go into, and i will even keep that a little damp for him, he loves it when it is a little moist.

Latest posts

Back