DIY Feeders and Waterers - SUPER cheap and easy to make.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GypsyTinker

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm cheap :) Luckily, I am also fairly handy. So if I need something, I'm more likely to make it than buy it.
Sometimes this actually works out. Sometimes, it's just me tinkering on so long that I should have just bought what ever it is...

This time, it's definitely a quick and easy solution and I didn't really have to buy anything or take much time to build...

I first saw a feeder like this here: diy-tin-can-feeder-t10388.html and it is part of why I joined this forum! Thank you Ollitos!

I used smaller cans for individual cages and added to the design for smoother feed flow as well as using them for waterers.

Here they are, feeders and waterers out of soup cans and water bottles.

These soup cans (tomato cans actually) are 4" wide. Perfect to fit between the 2"x4" fencing I use.

First, cut the can like so...and spread it open a bit.
Image04092013102305.jpg

Then use pliers to start rolling all of the exposed sharp edges.
This does NOT have to be pretty or perfect.
Be sure to roll the bottom edge OUT rather than in. (It is wrong in the picture)
Image04092013102428.jpg

Continue with the pliers and get all 3 exposed edges partially rolled.
Image04092013102740.jpg

Then use a hammer to flatten the roll nicely.
Be sure to hammer the top edge too, as it can sometimes be sharp
from when the can was opened and this may cut your water bottle.
Image04092013103056.jpg

Next, you just fold this big flap across the can and wrap it loosely around.
Image04092013103133.jpg

I used a soldering iron to put some holes in the water bottle,
near the mouth of it and one a little further down (up) the bottle
to set the water level and allow air to bubble in. Keep the cap!
Image04112013120705.jpg

And...VOILA!
Image04092013102146.jpg

To use as a feeder, I put about 6 drain holes in the bottom front and I use a can opener on the back side of the bottom and lift it up to make a slope for the food to move forward. Then I cut a slit in the back and fold the edges under the sloped part for support. This allows the food to slide forward to the rabbit and any water to drain through.
Image05262013174402.jpg

Here they are in use!
Image04092013174005.jpg

Image04092013103754.jpg

They may not last forever, but I made 6 very quickly. For the waterers, I used coated cans. Next time I will roll the bottom lip outwards to prevent rusting. We'll see how they hold up.

My rabbits sure put them to the test on this 88 degree day today :)

Let me know what you think!

Those can feeders are all too familiar. I used converted coffee cans all the time when I was a younger breeder/exhibitor. Necessity was/is the mother of invention, and for a 13-15 year old with limited funds, it worked like a champ.

Wow awesome idea! I can not find J feeders here and really don't want to pay to ship them up here. I need to make some chili so I can empty those cans of tomatos... :)

EXCELLENT idea!!!!! I am totally doing this...I was just bemoaning how I could find no J-feeders small enough for my "narrow" cages, a modified can will fit perfectly!!! Some holes in the top so I can affix it and it'll be perfect. Thank you for sharing!!!!!!!!

That is awesome. I'm sure to slash my hands open because I'm a mess, but I'm still so doing this.

I am weaning kits next week and had no money for waterers and feeders. Thanks for sharing now I know what I need to do this week.

coffeenutdesigns":t6zhuj6n said:
That is awesome. I'm sure to slash my hands open because I'm a mess, but I'm still so doing this.
Be sure to wear gloves! There are gloves for every occasion :)

I'm glad this is helping people! I made the feeders months ago and had been at a total loss as to what to do for watering... then it hit me... do the same thing!

After doing this first batch, I do suggest rolling the front edge OUT instead of in. This will keep the water away from the exposed steel and still be safe for the bunnies. It's easier to roll it out as well :)

I will post some pics of the feeder differences too. There are a couple little things you can do to make the food flow better and prevent clogging from moisture.

The real motivator for me was that I plan on having more rabbits... if I start buying feeders and waterers, I would have to keep buying them... This way, I can scale up to as many rabbits as I want and never buy a feeder or waterer!

- Edit: Updated first post with pictures of the water bottle holes.

TheLittleBunny10":4wyiqqgx said:
neat!
have any of your rabbits gotten cut by the edge?
Definitely not. I have been using feeders like this for months and have had 0 issues. They will shove their little faces in there to get the last bits of food and they come out happy :) I do think that for watterers, rolling the bottom lip outwards will help prevent rust and complications that may come from that, so everyone be sure to roll that bottom edge OUT and make SURE it's nice and smoothly flattened against the can.

Whenever I make something new that the bunnies interact with, I make one or two first to test it. At fist the feeders were a bit of a problem in that food would be way at the back and they couldn't get it. Even if they didn't get cut, it wasted feed and frustrated the rabbit. So then I came up with the sloped bottom and that took care of that! I'll post pictures on this feature soon, it's simple to make, but hard to describe. Thing is, currently all the feeders have feed in them :p

Within the next day or two, I will update the top post with new pictures with the bottom edge rolled out as I need to make new ones already because of rust. Luckily, it's even easier to roll it out than in!

Any other questions or requests about these?

Yes to the gloves - but these feeders & waterers are a GREAT idea! I love DIY projects that *I* can actually DO! Thanks!!! :D

Hi there, GypsyTinkerer and everyone!

Would it be possible to see pictures of the bottom of the feeder mod? I've been trying to make some of these, and I must have that part a bit off - I just can't get the darn thing to come together neatly.

Thanks in advance, love the ideas in this forum.

-Jessi

I am sure someone will post it for you Jessi, but I wanted to welcome you to RT!

You have found a great place full of lots of helpful folks.

JessiL":35rlevui said:
Hi there, GypsyTinkerer and everyone!

Would it be possible to see pictures of the bottom of the feeder mod? I've been trying to make some of these, and I must have that part a bit off - I just can't get the darn thing to come together neatly.

Thanks in advance, love the ideas in this forum.

-Jessi

Nothing really to do to the bottom half of the feeders other than turning the edge over to eliminate the sharp edge which will result from cutting the tin cans. You'll also need to make a small cut into the lower half to aid in securing the flap or cut loose metal section of the upper section. After it is in the slot cutout, just bend the cut upper section around the back of the feeder and trim it as desired. Flattening the front of the upper section will also aid it it staying in place.

And welcome to the forums!!

Thanks for the welcome, folks!

Hmm, I must really be a bit slow when it comes to working with tin cans - I am having problems getting nice clean bends. So after having cut loose part of the bottom to fold upward (to help with feeding the feed forwards) and then folding a bit of the lower can inwards to hold that part in place, I end up with extra space that I'm sure will keep the feed from flowing freely. Any hints for working with tin out there?

The good news is that I've discovered that the pizza place less than 1/4 mile from my house puts dozens of these giant cans out for recycling every week, so at least if I screw one of these things up, I can just move on to the next can and try again. They also have large food grade bottles, now I just need to order some water nipples and grommets and the water problem will be taken care of. And the bakery in the same shopping center has food grade plastic pails...

-Jessi

I'm making another batch of these tonight or tomorrow and will update with thorough pics of the waterer and feeder builds.

The bottom of the feeder is a bit tricky, I'll be sure to post a clear tutorial :)

Back