disposal Q

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheels

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
After processing 10 rabbits yesterday I had to wonder what everyone does with the parts that you don't use. Do you bury it? Put it the trash? Can you compost it - I would think you could compost anything but wonder if there is issue with animal entrails. Just wondering - we have a place where with bury the stuff that doesn't get used.

Also two person butchering goes so much faster! Husband and I got it all done and in the fridge in a little over and hour!

I put the guts in a bag and put it in the freezer until trash day. Then I put it in the trash.

I put it directly in the trash at first, but the smell was a gift that kept on giving. I had to wash the trash receptical with bleach and leave it to air out for a week before the smell went away.

Burying would be nice if you have enough land and the dogs don't dig it back up. I'd think the soil would improve there.

Good job on getting it done in an hour. It takes me that long to do 3 or 4. :)

My wife will help on all tasks except that one. Curious, since she grew up on a farm and I'm a city boy. :lol:

We feed it to the dogs, cats, and chickens. They love butchering day! :dinner:

Nothing to feed it to except the crows, the coons, and the possums. Used to bury it....no hole is deep enough to keep my neighbors dog out...so I throw it on the brush pile in the field. The dog can't get to it and it is gone the next day.

I have 3 acres...so I bury It... Its If I only do a few then I throw it in the weekly trash (I plan on doing it the night before trash day)

We do what TMTex does... bag it, freeze it, and put it out on trash day.

We tried giving some to the chickens, and they picked at it a little, and then ignored it like they had no clue why we would ever give them something so bizarre. :? I guess we have weird chickens.

(Oh - you do have a great sig, TMTex! :lol: I like MSD's Jefferson quote, too. :) )

Sometimes the dogs get a few bites, sometimes the chickens steal a chunk or two and run away, but for the most part we drive it to the back side of the property where there are no people for miles and dump it. That way the wild critters get a snack but it isn't drawing them up close to anyone's home.

Can you find someone who feeds raw to sell it to? My dogs eat everything, fur and all.

So far, I've been burying it. Well, I tried feeding the entrails to the chickens but they only like the fat and the heart/lungs. They won't touch the stomach/intestines.

You don't want to compost unless you are able to keep your compost pile away from animal pilferage. If you do add to your protected compost pile, bury it well.

What I'd like to do:

paws: save for keychains
ears: make dog treats
pelt: save to tan
entrails: bury in the garden

In order to save the paws, ears, and pelts, I need containers that can fit in the freezer but that are not clear/see-thru so Mother can no see the contents when rummaging through the freezer. Step one is to get as much out of the freezer and into canning jars as possible to make more room in there for my projects. :)

__________ Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:54 am __________

Mountain Spice":3jml9e7u said:
If the chickens eat the raw scraps, do ducks??

My muscies get offended because the chickens are getting treats and they aren't. But, if I toss them something...they don't want it. Muscies are supposed to eat meat (as in mice and snakes) but apparently, that does not extend to rabbit innerds.

__________ Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:56 am __________

MamaSheepdog":3jml9e7u said:
We feed it to the dogs, cats, and chickens. They love butchering day! :dinner:

First butcher day, I tossed rabbit heads, paws, and innerds to the dogs. They were so happy. But, MOTHER was furious with me! She cried and fussed because she saw rabbit heads in the dogyard.

Soooo...no more rabbit heads to the dogs.<br /><br />__________ Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:59 am __________<br /><br />
TMTex":3jml9e7u said:
Burying would be nice if you have enough land and the dogs don't dig it back up. I'd think the soil would improve there.

Someone's dog has been helping himself to my buried rabbit parts. I get a sick pleasure out of imagining the owner's reaction to finding their dog munching down on a rabbit head. Hey, if they would learn to keep their dog(s) at home, they wouldn't be having such surprises.

I use lead pellets, so I don't feed heads. I don't have trash pickup where I live and I dont want to attract predators, so I toss the yuckies in an empty feed sack, double bag it, and drive it to the rural dumpsters the county provides for us to dump trash in.

"Someone's dog has been helping himself to my buried rabbit parts. I get a sick pleasure out of imagining the owner's reaction to finding their dog munching down on a rabbit head. Hey, if they would learn to keep their dog(s) at home, they wouldn't be having such surprises."

OMG!!! I LOVE IT!!! Wasn't there a movie about someone waking up with a horse's head in the bed next to them... oh yes, The GodFather...!!!!! LOL!!!

The dogs get all scraps from butchering day. Sometimes, if there's a whole lot, they get part one day and part the next, but since we have 6 hungry dogs it doesn't last long.

edit to add ... when we dispatch the rabbits we use the "broomstick" method so no worries about feeding the heads to the animals! :)

I use some of the guts for cat fish bait, I feed some to the dogs.
the rest I put in a 5 gal. bucket with 1/8 inch holes drilled into the bottom.
I put this on the top corner edge of the chicken coop. the flys play in it, they lay their eggs
and in a few days the maggots drop to the ground, to become chicken candy. the hens will sit under the bucket all day waiting for the little bugs to drop.

Frecs":2gl6nu32 said:
How do you handle the smell of growing maggots from rabbit guts? (Imagining trying to explain that odor to Mother....ummm...no...)

Actually, there is not that much smell really. They can completely go through a couple pounds of meat in one day. So no time for rotting or any anaerobic processes.

s.

Back