Disinfecting trays/cages

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohen Rabbitry

Reaction score
Ok, I am going to be disinfecting my trays....I usually use straight bleach, let it sit for 15 minutes then scrub it down, but I was thinking about using clorox anywhere spray for the in between cleanings. Does anyone know what would be the safe bleach to water so that I can make it myself instead of buying it everytime?

Rachel

I think it depends on the concentration that you want. But when I worked in a restaurant we used about 2 tablespoons to a gallon to wipe down counters, and then just left it to evaporate. If you were going to rinse the trays afterward, I think I might use a little more than that.

However, you should be aware that bleach and ammonia mix to make a deadly gas that can damage our lungs, and I would assume rabbit lungs as well, and urine has an ammonia component. I would be very careful to use bleach in a well ventilated area and rinse well before returning the trays to the cages.

If you make the combination gas you can't smell it, but your chest will feel tight, your throat, eyes, and nose will burn, and you will start coughing--I have done it, bleaching a nasty bathroom floor. If you feel that way, get fresh air immeadiately.

A good. all purpose bleaching concentration (even on the deep down cleaning days) is one cup of regular strength Clorox to one gallon of water. Ifthe bleach is "ultra' or 'concentrated'use a bit less.

note== if one cannot tolerate the bleach fumes, White vinegar, 5%, used the same way, is a marvelous disinfectant AND odor neutralizer. Again, do not mix Vinegar with ammonia, or even with bleach. Thse acid combinations are real killers!
eco2piaisn't the onlyone that knows from experience how bad the stuff is for ya!

Huh, I never knew that mixing vinegar with bleach or ammonia is bad. I learn something new every day. Thanks for the heads-up!

pfaubush":1bmcij1k said:
Huh, I never knew that mixing vinegar with bleach or ammonia is bad. I learn something new every day. Thanks for the heads-up!
Vinegar is also a good disinfectant- changes the surface pH to make it unfriendly to nasty boogers, which is essentially what clorox does. So now, something else new for ya!!!

You can leave the vinegar on a PLASTIC tray, it will eat galv, and it help fight the piss sticking and building up on the tray

Back