Discussion about breeding animals (Split from another thread)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tailwagging":n06fg79r said:
I knew a GCH Harlequin named yahoo. :)

I have reg dogs with names like kennel name then Darling, Noel, Glitter, Fantasia ...but the kennel name is unique, so their full name is.

Often the call name is something to do with the registered name, sometimes it's included in the name. Sometimes not.

Jimmy's dog, and my dog's grandfather was Kismet's Sight for Sore Eyes, call name Dallas had nothing to do with his registered name. Phoenix and Flare (Sabian's Solar Flare v _________ breeder name omitted because of dispute), are the only dogs I have where the call name is in the registered name. At a show, you only know the dog by the registered name, which is the pride of the breeder/owner. It's like knowing someone as the Duke of Wales, and never getting to call them by their giving name, if you don't know them well.

It has a lot to do with the royal/wealthy origins of the sport.

Wow, this got a lot more serious and defensive than it seemed when I started posting here. I'm done, sorry to have obviously offended you when I was simply stating my opinion.

And for your information, no. I only have a first name. Kinda like Cher or Madonna.

skysthelimit":3jjzkbsf said:
Phoenix and Flare are the only dogs I have where the call name is in the registered name.

I included the call name in my female Great Dane's registered name, and my breeder told me I shouldn't have done that because then the judges would know which dog belonged to whom by looking at the entries, and could be biased in their decisions.<br /><br />__________ Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:08 pm __________<br /><br />
Bad Habit":3jjzkbsf said:
I only have a first name. Kinda like Cher or Madonna.

I thought everyone had a first name and a surname.

Did you apply for an official name change? :?

Piper":1eqtk75l said:
skysthelimit":1eqtk75l said:
but I don't need to perform more circus tricks for your amusement.
Let them have a bit of fun. They do not understand that breeders, can be proud of breeding, and that this can show in the names.
At least they are acknowledging that you are proud enough of your breeding, to basically put, what is a trademark, on animals, that you have bred.
- I still remember, when I was a kid, seeing a pedigree name, kinda like this "Sir Galahad of Highcastle". A animal that had a title? At that time I laughed, too. After having to find a name for the 30th or 40th puppy, to fit AKC guidelines, I understood. lol

Trying to find a theme for a litter is exhausting. The first litter was the A litter.

Sabian's All of the Above
Sabian's Act of G-d (named Bishop)
Sabian's Alter Ego
Sabian's Awol
Sabian's A Priori
Sabian's Achilles Heel
and one misfit whose name I changed to Sabian's Shock to the System, call name Taser.

Phoenix got her name "Phoenix Rising" because that year I lost my job when a supervisor began firing people who didn't look like "her" or doing things to force them to quit. Then she told the unemployment office that I said I would kill myself in front of the students. Buy the time I found out, it was too late for me to dispute it. I spent 9 mos out of work, with very little to fall on, thank G-d my church (parents) had a house for me to live in, mine went into foreclosure (long story) my van was repossessed, only had it a year after trading in a paid for car. No one was there to help me, I was just rising in the dog world, my dog won his major over champion dogs, and boom, his career was over because I could not longer afford to show and he was "in his prime." I was told to sell my best friend because I could not show him, by his breeder.

Then out of the blue, a well known, distinguished breeder/handler asked to use my dog--asked a newbie-- for stud. I was honored. I scraped up what little dignity I had left and tried it, and it failed. And still she tried with another girl, and after months of shame and hiding, unemployed and accepting food from neighbors, I finally got a job. And for my stud fee, I got Phoenix, a beautiful girl puppy, which is all I wanted, a Chopper daughter to finish what I started with him. With Phoenix, I rose from the ashes, and emerged back on the dog showing scene.

However, I still have not fully recovered, don't have enough credit to get a real van, or move from this house, but at least I can make an appearance with dignity. I still believe Phoenix is my rebirth to the dog world, and she marks my return to some semblance of self sufficiency.

Any laughs now?<br /><br />__________ Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:13 pm __________<br /><br />
MamaSheepdog":1eqtk75l said:
Bad Habit":1eqtk75l said:
I only have a first name. Kinda like Cher or Madonna.

I thought everyone had a first name and a surname.

Did you apply for an official name change? :?

You ever watch Street Justice? The lady Malloy, has no first name, because her parents couldn't decide what to call her.

Consider those people, that have not had to fill out AKC forms. You can explain all you want, but it 'probably' will not soak in. It is not you personally. I used to laugh at some of the names I hung on those pups, but it was still a serious business. Until you are at the show ring, holding your breath, waiting for the judges decisions, it may not sink in. Seen from an outsiders viewpoint, the names can be funny.
- I think you have tried to explain, why you took your viewpoint, that you were not just being defensive.
- I hope you will excuse me, but I still have fun, laughing at some of the registered names. That fun / viewpoint changes, if I am looking for a good animal, to bred or buy, though!
- What hoops AKC puts breeders, through! lol<br /><br />__________ Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:25 pm __________<br /><br />I should say
- What hoops 'purebred animals' put breeders, through!

Yes

Some of those names are hilarious.
My favorite--Army of One, Knauhill's Nasty Habit, Marhaven's And the Beat Goes On (BONO he is called in the show world, all caps all of the time).
Happysaysitall, can't remember the kennel name. Plainbrownpaperwrapper (a sable dog).

You gotta make a memory out of the name.

Then there are people who just call the dog Kridler's Ruby. or Lance of Fran Jo.

The show world is about showmanship, show boating, name and all.<br /><br />__________ Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:39 pm __________<br /><br />Yeah I am being a bit testy and defensive, but my dogs bring me great pleasure and are an accomplishment, and it's been a rough day, and will be a rough new few days.

People only seem to bring me problems and pain, my dogs have been nothing but pure joy to me, so I will defend them if pressed.

Sky,

I love the names you came up with, and think that "Phoenix Rising Rabbitry" would have been a good choice of names for your rabbitry. :)

I have always been impressed by the thought that goes into naming show animals- the striving for a unique and memorable name, especially when it is thematic, denotes a devotion and dedication to the animals bred by that individual. Sure, I can have a Grand Champion Doe known only as QP127... but where is the personal connection?

Kudos to you for overcoming your adverse situation, and fighting to be self sufficient. There is no shame in accepting help from willing neighbors, friends, and church congregations. I have been on both sides of that relationship- as a recipient of goodwill, and a provider of relief. Someday you will be in a position to return the favor to someone who is struggling, and will be able to offer that help without judgement since you yourself went through something similar.

skysthelimit":3m61rdo9 said:
tailwagging":3m61rdo9 said:
I knew a GCH Harlequin named yahoo. :)

I have reg dogs with names like kennel name then Darling, Noel, Glitter, Fantasia ...but the kennel name is unique, so their full name is.

Often the call name is something to do with the registered name, sometimes it's included in the name. Sometimes not.

Jimmy's dog, and my dog's grandfather was Kismet's Sight for Sore Eyes, call name Dallas had nothing to do with his registered name. Phoenix and Flare (Sabian's Solar Flare v _________ breeder name omitted because of dispute), are the only dogs I have where the call name is in the registered name. At a show, you only know the dog by the registered name, which is the pride of the breeder/owner. It's like knowing someone as the Duke of Wales, and never getting to call them by their giving name, if you don't know them well.

It has a lot to do with the royal/wealthy origins of the sport.

I know, I show (dogs) too.<br /><br />__________ Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:05 am __________<br /><br />
MamaSheepdog":3m61rdo9 said:
skysthelimit":3m61rdo9 said:
Phoenix and Flare are the only dogs I have where the call name is in the registered name.

I included the call name in my female Great Dane's registered name, and my breeder told me I shouldn't have done that because then the judges would know which dog belonged to whom by looking at the entries, and could be biased in their decisions.

they are not suppose to look at the catalog before judging.

Wow, this got a lot more serious and defensive than it seemed when I started posting here

Wow, me too sky! I am so sorry, seriously I didn't mean it personally and didn't mean to offend. Guess I should think a little more before I type.

What a nightmare you've been going through lately! I've had major health collapses and been homeless before, you have my deepest sympathies, I understand how hard it is to scrape your way up all over again from nothing. It took me years to get back up again. I wish you easier times ahead.

I most humbly apologize to you. Give me a second chance? :injail:

:sorry:

Sky your dog is beautiful. I have seen my sister be victim to the good ol boys club in a big way. She started at the bottom with Pomeranians and worked her way slowly to the top. She has the top finishing parti pom in the history of the breed. And has had quite a few Number 1 poms. At any rate she showed at Westminster one year against a dog sponsored by Bill Cosby. Well those judges know the dogs quiet well by the time they get to that level and who owns/sponsors them. Well that day her dog showed his little heart out yet still lost to Fabian and to the dog Sponsored by Bill Cosby. The sad part was that when they announced the owner of the dog they said "owned by Bill Cosby" and never mentioned the breeder/true owners name once.
Martha Stewart actually considered sponsoring a dog for my sister a few years back. Not sure how that turned out. And the woman who owns Pom Wonderful as well. It really is a big racket and good ol' boys club in the AKC show world.
My sister is Charlotte Meyer of Chars Poms. And her dogs have some pretty funny names. Such as Parti colors always have parti in the name. So quite a few years ago I got a dog from her which she was gracious enough to let me name. Boy did I have fun with that since she made me follow some guidelines such as it had to have her kennel name and parti included in the name. So He became "Chars sneaking out to parti" lol She was not impressed!!!!!! LMBO

If you don't like the way the game is played then simply don't play. It is your choice..... :)

MamaSheepdog":3j4h3hmp said:
Sky,

I love the names you came up with, and think that "Phoenix Rising Rabbitry" would have been a good choice of names for your rabbitry. :)

It was already taken and registered :(

__________ Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:23 pm __________

tm_bunnyloft":3j4h3hmp said:
If you don't like the way the game is played then simply don't play. It is your choice..... :)

I like the name "Sneaking out to a parti," very clever.

I know the racket and I still play. Sometimes I get a break, mostly I can't play right because money talks, and I don't have much now. one day I'll be able to do it right.

And truth be told, I like showing up places unexpected, and busting up the ole boys party, and I think sometimes they enjoy it too.

I am sorry, I am very upset about something very stupid that happened at work that has ruined all the plans I've been making recently, and there is very little I can do about it. i probably should just leave the computer alone, until I can behave more civilized.

Thanks.

The sad part is there is nothing to be done, charter schools hire and fire at will. Either I roll with the punches or find another job. Teaching jobs are hard to come by.

Im sorry your having a touch time with your job.
I see nothing uncivilized in what you posted. :)
Im glad you are able to show up and put them in their place from time to time. My sister used to be in your shoes at the shows, but now is one of the ol' boys. She needs to be put in her place from time to time. She has gotten to big and full of herself.
I hope tomorrow is a better day.

tm_bunnyloft":19m2hjhp said:
sneaking out to parti

LOVE IT!!!!!!! may I use it? with my kennel name and party instead of parti??
PLEASE???!!!!!

I don't see why not. :) There are allot of cool names to go with party. Do you breed parti color dogs? or just like the name?

Latest posts

Back