Disappointed and frustrated

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I bought 6 American Blue rabbits in early August, doe, buck, and 4 juveniles from their first litter. The previous owner had gotten the doe and buck as meat rabbits. When bred, the doe had 9 kits in her first litter, of which 5 survived. (The previous owner had a hard time reconciling slaughter after she had handled the kits for a couple months. That was why she sold them to me.) I assumed the high mortality was from lack of experience on the part of the doe. But, I had high hopes since 9 for a first litter seemed pretty good to me after all that I've read. So, after getting them all settled in and waiting for several weeks to get them acclimated to their new surroundings, I bred the doe again. Or tried to. She wasn't very cooperative. She grunted and whined at the buck and kept squatting down to refuse his ardor. So, I tried again the following day. She acted the same. But, I had read about tabling since the day before, and decided to try it. I wasn't certain that it had taken. After waiting for 31 days, nothing. So, I decided to try again. I put her in the bucks cage this past Tuesday. She whined and cried at me, and grunted at the buck. Again, I reached in and held her in position so the buck could do his thing. But, I don't think this breeding was successful either. I'll know in a few weeks.

When I got the rabbits from the previous owner, I asked her if she had given any of them a name. She said no. But then, she added that she had began calling the doe "the bitch" because of her extreme dislike for being handled at all. It seems that every time she had tried reaching into the doe's cage the doe charged at her. She does the same to me often. All the other rabbits took to me very well in just a few days. So much so that the buck usually comes to the door of the cage when he see me and waits till I reach in to stroke him, (he especially likes scratching behind the ears). But, the doe still gets defensive, and extremely so. I am beginning to question if her temperament is what was responsible for the high mortality in her first litter. After all that has happened thus far, I have just about decided that if the doe doesn't kindle this time around that she'll be heading for the stewpot. I still have two of her daughters, which will be breeding age in another 6 weeks or so, and they have little problem with being handled. As long as they respond positively to the buck, they'll do just fine. I can't afford to feed rabbits which can't deliver.

Thoughts or comments?

All of my kit losses are from getting separated from the main nest and chilled (dragged off while nursing) and from runts who fail to thrive so I am not inclined to blame the temperament of the doe. However I can't stand does like that and I'd probably have her in the stew pot too, especially after finding out her nickname. I hate when people sell on rabbits like that for someone else to deal with.

If she were just difficult to breed then I'd go ahead and keep putting her in. I have some difficult does that take 3 days of visits before they lift. I have had success with some of these does by putting doe and buck in an outdoor playpen and leaving them. Usually in a few hours I'll see a great deal of loving going on lol.

My experiences with Americans has been been very positive. I've never heard about too many grumpy/hormonal/territorial ones. Maybe she had a traumatic experiences or something...I dunno..

IMO high kit mortality rates seem to have more to do with feed (enteritis?), health issues on the part of the doe(mastitis?), or owner inexperience.

At least in most meat lines, kit raising on the doe's end seems to be rather solidly instinctual. My first timers have always managed to get it right, but I also seem to have a knack for noticing what is going on with them, and troubleshooting.

Well,
no sense in keeping around perfectly edible animals that do not make you happy.

I personally won't keep a biter in my rabbitry for any reason. Meat rabbits are VERY replaceable, after all.

If she'd please you more as a roast or with BBQ sauce than as a brood doe, then so be it, right?

Keep and breed only the best. ;)

I just got a doe a few days ago who has had 2 owners before me due to her cage aggression. I honestly don't know too much about her. I had read that some does will start getting aggressive when sexually frustrated, so I put her in with my so far best buck (this is my first breed,) and she was the only doe out of my other 3 that willingly took my buck. I had to hold the others. He covered her 10 times very quickly.

I've had her for 4 days now, and when I first got her she would lunge at me, grunt, and run around like wild! So I had been holding her many times a day. Once you get her in your arms so is very sweet, and loving. She snuggles right up to your shirt. I admit I even sing to her when I am reaching into her cage, and in those 4 days she has calmed down quite a bit.

Seems to me like poor behavior in hormonal does (AKA biting the hand that feeds them) usually spikes along with their hormonal spikes. Mainly when they want bred, and right after kindling. (just a heads up that it may be too soon to think she's going to be nice forever)
In between times they are usually pretty manageable.

I dunno, I like having rabbits that are nice all the time. You know, animals that can be pet and who's babies can also be pet, by anyone. Animals that I can handle or feed without gloves.
I don't think it's too much to ask, since rabbits like that certainly do exist. :yes:

Latest posts

Back