Different Colours, Or...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Habit

Reaction score
100_3509.jpg

Would you say these two kits are different colours, or does the apparent difference lie in SM vs DM hair distribution?

I think they are both opals, but the one on the left has more ticking, especially on the ears.

The SM seems more tan to me. In the first litter, there was a DM that looked just like the DM - the doe I had returned, Hannah. In the second litter, there was a SM exactly like the SM.

I hope the SM is a buck. My friend is taking a free rabbit from that litter, but I told her it has to be a boy.

----

I realized I had another kit like the less white one born to an earlier litter, pulled up the information and contacted the girl who bought him. She blocked me on Facebook and has completely ignored my email requesting an updated picture so I could compare him to Hannah.

They are still very different in colour. I have to go out to do some stuff, but when I'm back, I'll take updated photos of those two(and the other 5!) and dig up the photos of Hannah as a kit, and the other "opal" buck as a kit.

There's a fair bit of tan in the "opal"'s fur.

I don't think the SM vs DM affects the coloring of the kits. DM is a gene that produces wool, from the ancestory of the Angora.

I see the tan in the "opal" fur. It's amazing how some colors vary in the same litter. It all depends what color loci (A,B,C,D,E) the individual kits inherit from their parents. DM gene just gives them more Wool.

Karen

They look very different. Like, I can tell the diff by looking into the nest box, whereas I have to pull out the harli's to check for specific identifying patterns.

I didn't think the wool would affect the colouring that much, but both the DM's were the lighter opal, and both the SM's where the tannish one, which made me think.

Pictures soon.

----

100_3566.jpg

100_3564.jpg

100_3561.jpg

100_3574.jpg

So... are they both opal?

One looks possibly lynx? I'm not familiar with this breeds colors, but we had a French angora lynx.

One looks opal, the other has a ruby cast to the eye so maybe a sable or chocolate chinchilla? What colors are the parents and do you know the background?

Back