diet tamacious earth

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old thread I know but I wanted to add it can cause them to be itchy by drying the skin. I had fur mites and decided to use every 10 days on the 4 week old kits. I would carefully apply it to there backs and sides using a plastic "shot" sized cup. Fill the cup with DE and then hold it to the fur and go up and down it's back. The adults I used ivermectin on with great success while the kits kept itching. I figured it was still mites so after 3 DE dustings I used ivermectin on the now 6 week old kits. (I did one dusting before the 10 days since they started scratching soon after the dusting)

Being green I thought for sure it was mites but thanks to some people on the forum after using ivermectin I held off and the kits started to stop scratching since I killed the mites and it was now just dry skin. Not sure if it was due to DE or the ivermectin but I do know that much DE irritated the kits skin.

I'm sure the experienced people on here are aware but I'm posting this for anyone who doesn't know. Oh and it was food grade DE that within 24hrs was almost totally licked off by themselves and there brother and sisters.

Latest posts

Back