Did the magic happen?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macksmom98

Reaction score
Just curious, do Bucks ever "fall off" but miss? So somewhat of a fake fall off? I have always heard if that happens it's a sure sign they are bred. But we have a new young buck and he's leaving wet spots all over the Does. I can't tell if it the "baby juice" or saliva, he loves to groom them and lick all over too. The 2 gals I put with him are both acting territorial and would let me pick them up and put them back in, but wouldn't be bred again. Fingers crossed this is a good sign:)

I have had misses with definite covers (likely from the heat) and I have had a pregnancy in one doe that never lifted and he never "fell off." I think the young guys take a little while to figure out their aim and in turn leave evidence behind. But in my very limited experience a grunt and a flop are a pretty good sign.

Well he's happy to do it that's for sure. I feel sort of lost with coming off of a super hot summer in TX and also having several new buns to add to our fall breeding program this year. I just keep putting somebody and somebody else together and there has been a lot of loving going on lately! I don't want to stress a prego momma out, so my 2 who are completely unreceptive now and kind of hunkered down in their cages I'll give a rest, in hopes that they actually are pregnant. I kind of want the guys to get some good practice tho and if they are heat sterile to have them come out of it ASAP. It's all a big experiement and I have 1 first time buck and 3 first time does, so we shall see. Keep the opinions coming! Thanks:)

macksmom98":2d7bqagc said:
Just curious, do Bucks ever "fall off" but miss? So somewhat of a fake fall off?

Yes. I had one buck that would ejaculate on the doe's back and fall off, but that is the only one I have ever seen do it. Most of them don't seem to get stimulated enough unless they actually hit the spot, though.

MamaSheepdog":2tdxueg0 said:
Yes. I had one buck that would ejaculate on the doe's back and fall off, but that is the only one I have ever seen do it.

Mine is also like that and I kinda like it, because he regulary cleans his pipes :)

My buck did it once to my very stubborn doe. He didn't just fall off he shot off her back. Reminded me of the kick back of a 12 ga shot gun. :p :lol: :lol:

Oh rabbits, you always make life interesting. :lol: :lol:

wamplercathy":3jiipvsh said:
My buck did it once to my very stubborn doe. He didn't just fall off he shot off her back. Reminded me of the kick back of a 12 ga shot gun. :p :lol: :lol:

Oh rabbits, you always make life interesting. :lol: :lol:

I had one that actually did a full back flip! It was hilarious!

They can be sooo funny! I can't really tell exactly what's happening with mine. He has a good position, in fact it sometimes almost looks like he could just about sit down he gets far up underneath the Doe. And sometimes he's fast but other times you can tell it's not right and it doesn't happen quickly, which leads me to believe that he's not just easy on the trigger shooting off just anywhere. How would ya all go about checking this? Check the vents for "drippidge"? Or just keep trying to breed? I am kind of concerned about the whole possibility of 2 litters different dates same Doe thing. Do ya all worry about that?

macksmom98":1khlfn5d said:
I am kind of concerned about the whole possibility of 2 litters different dates same Doe thing. Do ya all worry about that?

Anything is possible, but "dual pregnancies" would be incredibly rare, if they happen at all. I have copied the text from this post post223088.html#p223088 I wrote quite some time ago which explains why it would be highly unlikely:

Rabbits are induced ovulators, which means that they release the eggs on stimulation from the buck. They do have cycles of receptivity as indicated by the color of the vulva. Dark pink or purple indicates that she has follicles that are ready to burst and release eggs. If she is mounted when follicles aren't ready, none will be released.

During their receptive window, there are "waves" of follicles maturing at different rates. Once a follicle reaches a certain size and is ready to rupture, but the doe is not bred, it will regress and never be viable again. At that point another "wave" of follicles will be maturing and may be ready to be released.

Breeding her to another buck will not cause release of a secondary "wave" of eggs, because they will not yet be mature.

Some people claim that does can carry two pregnancies of different gestational age, but this is not possible due to the hormonal changes that occur when eggs are released.

I'm about to get technical on you, :explanation: but am trying to keep it relatively simple, so here goes:

When the eggs are released the follicle is called a corpus hemorrhagicum, but the cells change to become a corpus luteum. The corpus luteum produces relatively high levels of progesterone and moderate levels of other hormones such as estrogen to inhibit further production of follicle stimulating hormones, preventing the growth of new follicles and release of eggs.

The corpus luteum remains in the ovary while the eggs traverse the fallopian tubes, continuing to secrete progesterone to prepare the uterus for implantation of the embryo(s). When the egg implants itself, it releases another hormone (HCG) which signals the corpus luteum to continue secreting progesterone to maintain the thick lining and increased blood vessels to the uterus to maintain growth of the embryos. Eventually, the placenta takes over and the corpus luteum degrades.

If the eggs are not fertilized and implantation fails to occur, the corpus luteum stops progesterone production and decays, allowing the receptive cycle to resume.

Further proof:

In most mammals the progesterone secreted during gestation inhibits oestrus and the pregnant female refuses to mate, but a pregnant doe may accept mating throughout the gestation period. Indeed, in the second half of pregnancy this is the most common behaviour (Figure 10).

A breeder cannot therefore use the sexual behaviour of does as an indication of pregnancy. Mating occurring during gestation has no dire consequences for the embryos. Unlike the phenomenon observed in the female hare, superfoetation (two simultaneous pregnancies at two different stages of development) never occurs in rabbits.

http://www.fao.org/docrep/t1690E/t1690e05.htm

Very good information! So if you saw a fall off at least twice and the does are a little grouchy and unwilling to breed would you give it a rest and consider them bred just to help them stay leased stressed out?

Yes. Starting at about nine days you can try to palpate the does. You will feel squishy grape like structures in their abdomen if they are pregnant.

You can practice palpating bucks or does who you are sure are NOT pregnant, so you will know what an unbred rabbit feels like.

Ok, that's what I'll do then. I don't like palpating (I am not confident in my abilities and scared I'm going to hurt something), but it's time to get familiar with it. Thanks!

macksmom98":139v8p9x said:
I don't like palpating (I am not confident in my abilities and scared I'm going to hurt something)

You wont hurt them in the early stages- they are surrounded by a lot of amniotic fluid. This thread has photos of a doe that was necropsied ten days along in her pregnancy, showing the fetuses in the amniotic sacs and out of them:

post241949.html

Wow-that's really interesting. And I fee like just seeing if will make it easier to tell. I have heard all about grape sized babies and 2 uterine horns, but could not picture where it all actual was......I think Doe #1 will be at day 11 on Sunday, but I need check my records again:)

I had the same problem with my Hollands. Put a newbie buck in with a virgin doe. Wet spots everywhere lol but no lifting so I wondered? He was pulling out a mouthful of shoulder fur each time so I don't know if it was passion or hanging on for dear life :lol: He gave it the old college try and she was having none of it. Of course, none of my bucks are really grunty so I don't generally look for that as a sign.

Anyway, she's acting testy so time will tell.

Oh I hope it is a good sign for you:). Both my bucks have a dramatic fall off, grunt, and thump a couple times or so after. I have one that let's out a scream, it's funny. I am not convinced mine are bred but one is already at day 14 from the first time she was with him, although she did allow herself to be bred again a few days after that. They are both acting irritable (no lunging) and hunkered down in their cages. They may just be trying to tell me they have had enough if the buck for a while, but I am crossing my fingers it's because they are prego:). I am going to TRY to palpate again this afternoon after school pickup. Hope I have some good luck! <br /><br /> -- Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:26 pm -- <br /><br /> So palpating didn't seen to work, or they aren't pregnant. No one wanted to be bred today, and they all seem a little stuck up or irritated and snooty. It's still pretty warm here, but the Bucks were all interested. Just no willing females. So I have no idea if they are pregnant, think they are pregnant, or just aren't in the mood......time to wait it out I guess:)

Latest posts

Back