Diatomaceous Earth as a dewormer

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerbunny

Reaction score
Does anyone have any real evidence that Diatomaceous Earth is useful as an internal dewormer? Like done a trial with sample fecal tests and everything?

I've used it on external stuff like fleas and it works well but I keep running across DE used as an internal dewormer and it doesn't make sense to me. This is a finely ground powder that contains the fossilized skeletons of small organisms called diatoms. These skeletons are razor sharp at the microscopic level. Diatomaceous earth can cut and kill parasites but it doesn't work when it's wet. The intestinal tract of a rabbit (or any animal) is a wet environment. The fine powder is also a respiratory irritant and I would worry about harming the lungs.

I add DE to my rabbit feed.

I would say as an intestinal dewormer it may be helpful. It is not 100% effective at the dosage I feed, which is about a cup per 100lbs.

Some months ago I processed some rabbits for meat, and found two that had pinworms. I have probably processed fifty since then, and not seen pin worms again.

I also add it to the kibble for my barn cats. Last year or the year prior, I stopped doing it for a while, and we had some kittens that would "fade" and die at around 4 weeks of age. My daughter actually made the correlation that I had stopped giving them DE, and since I have resumed its use, we have not had that problem again.

This website has dosage information for controlling internal parasites:

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/diato ... earth.html

I have wondered about this, too. If it works when ingested, which would seem to be supported by studies, since it is so widely done (but I haven't looked), then why doesn't it work in the garden after it gets wet?

Latest posts

Back