Determining Rabbit Age

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meadowlark22

Reaction score
Hey all!

I’ve been a bit conflicted over how to determine my rabbits’ ages. I see some folks count weeks, others months. At the moment, I’m trying to determine when I am able to use a certain litter for breeding (should any kits pass the cull checklist).

I have two litters of New Zealand REW litters born 4/14/22 on a Thursday. Exactly 24 weeks (~6 months) later, the date is 9/29. This would put them (in months) at 5 1/2 months old. By month, they shouldn’t be breeding until 10/14 at the earliest. Either way, I wouldn’t start breeding until they made senior weight.

How do you determine your rabbits’ ages? Does it matter the age as long as they hit senior weight?

Honestly, when it comes to meat rabbits of up to NZ size, any time after 5 months is fair game to me. By then they should be at 80% of their adult weight. I find they raise out their kits just fine.

Mind you, I don't just willy-nilly breed them, I wait for them to go from baby/young rabbit attitude to "I'm grown up attitude". For some bunnies that 4-5 months, for others it's closer to 8. Sometimes they show that through hormonal based attitudinal moments (chasing a hand, grunting at me, lunging at a door) and sometimes it's just a change in personality.

Latest posts

Back