Delete

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excuse the names? Why? lol All my Tribe members are named after Harry Potter characters. Special meaning to me.

Well, not really on top of color genetics, but all I can say is you will have lots of different possibilities of colors and patterns. I was more concerned about health and bone structure than color.

You will definitely have some "color" in your nestbox. Good Luck. Hoping for a colorful HEALTHY Christmas litters.

Karen

Haha thank you Karen, all good points! :lol: I am hoping for some healthy colorful christmas popples this year, these will be my first litters! Can you tell I'm excited?!?? :D Since 99.999% of what everything I produce will end up as raw dog food, I am going to be selecting for larger/typier rabbits whereever possible - and cull hard for health. Its just my inner geek that is interested in the genetics side of things :ugeek:

That's the way to do it :)
While you're breeding for dog food, don't forget to put a few of those away for yourself.

rawfeeder":cula8vcl said:
Haha thank you Karen, all good points! I am hoping for some healthy colorful christmas popples this year, these will be my first litters! Can you tell I'm excited?!?? Since 99.999% of what everything I produce will end up as raw dog food, I am going to be selecting for larger/typier rabbits whereever possible - and cull hard for health. Its just my inner geek that is interested in the genetics side of things

When you have mixed rabbits of unknown origin, it really is a grab bag, so to speak. You won't really know until you start getting some litters. Then you may be able to sort out some of genes in the mix.

Black and broken black. For the Tort to show or the shaded which the does have/carry then the buck will also have to have a non extension gene plus have some hidden shaded genes there as well. However the NEXT generation would be more of a grab bag...

The broken gene is dominant, so it always shows. Since the sire of your doe was a solid color, he cannot be carrying a broken gene. Charlies have two copies of the broken gene, so your doe cannot be a Charlie because she did not get a broken gene from her father. She is just a very lightly marked broken, sometimes called "Charlie marked". :)

http://www.thenaturetrail.com/rabbit-ge ... lie-solid/

Thank you for all the comments,and the for link MSD! That is actually the exact page I was reading yesterday in my research :) And thanks for confirming that about the 'charlies'... I had a thought they might be. Genetics never fails to interest me, I just wish I understood it better lol. Cannot wait to see these litters, and hoping to keep a nice BIG doe back to grow out.

Latest posts

Back