Definitions, nicknames, and abbreviations

Help Support RabbitTalk:

cowgirl9768

Reaction score
VM
Vienna marked rabbit. A ribbit that is the offspring of a blue eyed white rabbit who carries the Vienna (blue eyed white) gene. Has abnormal white spotting such as being solid black except for a star on the forehead.

VC
Vienna carrier. A rabbit who looks like a solid show able rabbit but who carries the Vienna gene and can throw VM babies (or BEW babies if bred to another rabbit with the Vienna gene)

Throw = give birth to

Reaction score
Thanks for posting! Some people *cough me cough* didnt understand some of the terms. I kept reading about culling but no one actually said what it is.

Sagebrush

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but I just had to add.

Cull= Eliminate, either through sales or butchering of an animal from your herd.

Rainey

RabbitTalk Supporter
Reaction score
I've been trying to read up on the housing options and realized that i don't understand what is meant by a hutch, a colony, or a hole. Colony I understand to mean having a group together but am I right that it can be inside or outside--does it always include ways for the buns to burrow or tunnel or dig? We have wire cages in what I call "the rabbit shed" but is hutch another word for the building in which cages are hung or placed? Or is a hutch a cage made of some combination of wood and wire? And holes don't seem to be in the ground but in a hutch or cage? Feel like I'd get more out of reading the posts on housing if I didn't feel so confused about the terms. Thanks for having this thread to help out those of us who aren't yet up to speed.

wildeden

Reaction score
Rainey":21z1cy73 said:
I've been trying to read up on the housing options and realized that i don't understand what is meant by a hutch, a colony, or a hole. Colony I understand to mean having a group together but am I right that it can be inside or outside--does it always include ways for the buns to burrow or tunnel or dig? We have wire cages in what I call "the rabbit shed" but is hutch another word for the building in which cages are hung or placed? Or is a hutch a cage made of some combination of wood and wire? And holes don't seem to be in the ground but in a hutch or cage? Feel like I'd get more out of reading the posts on housing if I didn't feel so confused about the terms. Thanks for having this thread to help out those of us who aren't yet up to speed.

How I've always interpret it...

Hutch: A cage made of wood and wire.
Colony: Rabbits living in a communal group. Sometimes this can yes, include means for a rabbit to burrow and tunnel but mostly it means rabbits living together in a shared space. Sometimes this just means a just penned in area.
Hole: People refer to how many "holes" a carrier has...or how many "holes" in the barn...This simply means spaces for a rabbit. A 3-hole show carrier has three separate spaces for three rabbits. A 50 hole barn means you have room for 50 rabbits.

EnglishSpot

RabbitTalk Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen it on the feeding forums; what is BOSS? I haven't been able to figure out the context.

Zass

RabbitTalk Supporter
Reaction score
EnglishSpot":vqbwfw3d said:
I've seen it on the feeding forums; what is BOSS? I haven't been able to figure out the context.

BOSS is
Black Oil Sunflower Seeds

Latest posts