Definitions, nicknames, and abbreviations

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol: you MUST have been ignoring the forum. It went ballistic for a few days. Then calmed down, and is now under Chuck's watchful eye, with a more inclusive feeling. Questions, general talk, pictures, stories, advice; all things rabbity. :D

I'm still a bit puzzled by the term broken. As I understand it a broken is any deviation from a recognized show pattern. Am I corect?

As I understand it, it is a white rabbit with patches and spots of another colour... black, blue, chestnut, red etc. The rabbit that you thought might be a checker-patterned Dutch would be an example. Maybe someone else can explain it better.

"Broken" is any rabbit with both colored and white patches--The color is broken up by white. English Spot, Checkered Giant, the rabbit in your avatar...generally they are to have between 10-60% color, and are showable in many breeds. Some breeds do not recognize them, for intance Thriantas, Havanas, Cinnamons, Chinchillas, are all breeds where broken is not an accepted color. Lops, NZ, Mini Rex are all breeds that allow both broken and solid rabbits to be shown.

Maggie and I have too much time on our hands today! she beat me again! I'm home sick, can you tell? :)

broken is white with any colour

march162011064.jpg

for instance this picture has a broken chocolate and a self chocolate.

i like the rabbit on HT but I like here better. hey do we have a sticky on the different diseases and meds for rabbits?

did anyone answer this?

I don't think that we do.<br /><br />__________ Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:02 pm __________<br /><br />and yes, a self is a rabbit with a solid colour. It gets tricky when you have a solid coloured rabbit that has a white nail, or has scattered white hairs...or a white spot on the tummy that it was born with. then yeah,.. they are solid...but if you get a broken when breeding to a self...then they really are broken. :) and yeah, I know...go figure.

Actually "self" is a term that means the hair shaft is one solid color from end to tip, and is a consistant color over the rabbits whole body. Agouti is what it is called when the hair shaft is banded along its length, and gives a coat color like a wild rabbit has. A rabbit that is one solid color with no white patches is just called a solid, or more often by just the name of the color--"Do you want the broken black or the black?" or "Do you want the broken black or the solid?" either way.

Ladysown's pic just happens to be a chocolate self--meaning the chocolate color is all over the bunny, with no variation. There are chocolate tans, chocolate agoutis, chocolate otters, lots of varations of chocolate. Yummy! ;)

I hope that isn't too much explaination...

Thank goodness I don't do shows although I like going to them. It all sounds very complicated.

Someone had a link to a site which showed examples of each color and each pattern and some combinations. I do not have it available, but if anyone does, it might be a great help to hoodat.

avdpas77":2baj0hg3 said:
Someone had a link to a site which showed examples of each color and each pattern and some combinations. I do not have it available, but if anyone does, it might be a great help to hoodat.
Excellent site with actual photographs of rabbits...many many many colors, breeds, types. Although it does NOT explain why a particular rabbit is considered that color/pattern right there with the picture. There are a LOT of articles on the site, tho, and loads of genetic information: http://www.rabbitcolors.info/int/en/index.html

by the way...about BROKEN...typically, the MAIN color of the rabbit shows on the nose and around the head. (and not just for BROKEN, but tort, etc. ... broken black will have a black head/nose with white patches..even ONE white paw. chocolate tort will have a brown nose/head and fawn/orangy wool, etc.)

2 issues--first "binkies" the jump for joy move made by really happy rabbits, generally early morning....this term is silly to me. I think of infant pacifiers. We need a better word for this. I suggest J4J--jump for joy.

second thing--"legs" The first time I saw a rabbit with three legs for sale I was astounded, but even moreso when I saw a rabbit with 6 legs listed for sale....what the heck? It turns out that "legs" just means how many show wins the rabbit has...I'm sure it's really important at some level...maybe someone can explain it to me.

This thread is hilarious.

It took me a while to learn the show jargon. Also I've had a problem finding bunnies at first, because I didn't know that MR and REX were different. I've had a mini Rex before, but it never occurred to me that they had a big brother, the Standard Rex, and I have to specify that to people who want pet bunnies now. It causes havoc in the search engines when I am looking for new stock, it keeps coming up with mini rexes.

Brody":384n305k said:
DOA
dead on arrival

PTS
put to sleep (aka euthanized)

BID
twice a day (must be latin..)

weird the places the mind goes ...

SID- once a day (single a day!)
TID- three times daily (thrice a day!)
PRN- as needed

owlsfriend":384n305k said:
"binkies" the jump for joy move made by really happy rabbits, generally early morning....this term is silly to me. I think of infant pacifiers. We need a better word for this. I suggest J4J--jump for joy.

I agree. I like J4J. Or maybe we could adopt a skiing or surfing term... even gymnastics. I'm not familiar with the lingo though. Maybe "Gettin' Hare (air)"...

Okay, I'm brand new here and I don't raise rabbits (I'm a writer doing research for a fictional fantasy book), but I'm confused.

I understand that scf = sex change fairy, but WHAT THE HECK IS A SEX CHANGE FAIRY??

Also, what does "mental rabbit" mean? Does that mean the bunny's crazy?

Please, clairfy cos I'm very confused!!

Thanks,
Veronika

HeirofBarrad":15lc6fe9 said:
Okay, I'm brand new here and I don't raise rabbits (I'm a writer doing research for a fictional fantasy book), but I'm confused.

I understand that scf = sex change fairy, but WHAT THE HECK IS A SEX CHANGE FAIRY??

Also, what does "mental rabbit" mean? Does that mean the bunny's crazy?

Please, clairfy cos I'm very confused!!

Thanks,
Veronika
:lol:

Sex Change Fairy explanation: When rabbits are young, it is easy to misidentify the sex. You can think you have a young doe for a couple of months, and then one day as you inspect it for health or an upcoming show, you find descended testicles (the testicles are not visible until the rabbit is about 14-16 weeks old, when they descend). The Sex Change Fairy has visited your rabbitry. Of course, the rabbit was a buck all the time, it's just that you were convinced it was a doe. Someone on here described taking a buck to a show, and the judge was the one who found it was actually a doe! So we say the SCF struck again! If you have a young rabbit that you think is a doe, and want it to be a doe, you might say that you hope the SCF doesn't visit. :)

Mental Bunny = unpredictable rabbit. For instance, maybe it comes up sweetly for head scratches one minute, then turns on you for no apparent reason the next. You never know what personality you are going to get when you approach it. I haven't had a mental bunny, so maybe someone who has will chime in. :lol:

Thanks for this forum with the jargon. This is my first post. Just joined Rabbit Talk. Probably do a lot of observing for a while. Have one Cali bred 5 days.

Is the Rabbitcolors site just whoever posts as a guess as to the color or ??? I see colors that are marked some thing else that I've never heard of show wise or rarely heard them called before when some one mentioned x was also y on a board that had other rabbit breeders from other places in it (Australia and Europe comes to mind).

Back