Days old kits dying off

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briz

Reaction score
My BEW Holland Lop kindled 5 kits on the 25th, no external injuries, lots of fur pulled. On the 27th, I found one dead in the nestbox near the opening rather than nestled further down with the others. On the 29th I found two more dead with the remaining 2 living. One of the surviving kits is definitely fed, the other is smaller and looking unfed. I've never had this happen with such a small litter before. My meat rabbits which might have a litter of 12 it's normal to lose a couple even when spreading them out, but losing 3 out of 5 after a few days? Does anyone have a guess as to what is happening? Is she likely not producing enough milk, or not feeding long enough, or are the kits maybe getting lost in the nest box? She's raised two litters previously of 2 and 3 kits, but she's had one die each time (so 3 and 4 kits previously). She's on 16% Bluebonnet feed - next time, I will put her on the 18% feed to hopefully help boost her milk production.

I'm really bummed, I was excited about her litter of 5. :(

I hope your luck changes! I check mine twice daily to see if it appears they are getting fed, and if not I intervene. But my Hollands are raising litters of 7 and 8 with no problems right now, so as far as the breed goes she should be able to. Have you confirmed they aren't getting too cold, and don't have any genetic problems?

It doesn't get much below 50F at night right now, so shouldn't be a temperature issue. She did pull plenty of fur. Next litter I'll just have to hope the 18% feed and checking more often will help save more - she's the only BEW doe I have at the moment so I can't replace her yet.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this! :(

A number of things are possible.

Briz":3fancosd said:
Is she likely not producing enough milk
Very possible. Did the three that died look thin?

or not feeding long enough
This is not likely. A feeding usually lasts only a few minutes, and those little popples are milk-drinking machines!

or are the kits maybe getting lost in the nest box
This does happen sometimes. They'll wander away from the others and chill. They can't get back, and they die.

One of the surviving kits is definitely fed, the other is smaller and looking unfed.
Two possibilities:
The doe isn't making enough milk, and the one kit is too weak to compete now.
There is something physically wrong with the kit, and it doesn't feed effectively enough.

Is this the first time the doe was bred to that particular buck? Every now and then, you can have a bad genetic combination that produces litters that fail to thrive.

Thanks for the replies everyone-

She has been bred only by this buck.

Oh! I did not even think about peanuts - I thought they were more noticeable in a litter, but after checking online again, they seem very much like some of the kits. I thought some variation in the kit size difference was normal, but some of them have been a lot smaller. I also noticed the bulging eyes. I will compare the two remaining kits when I get home from work and post the pictures.

Unfortunately it does sound like there might be some genetic stuff going on since this isn't her first smaller litter, nor is it her first loss of kits. Do you have any other does having issues, or is it just this one?

If they are peanuts you can definitely try a different buck. To achieve peanuts, you must have the dwarf gene from both parents, so adding a different buck could definitely give you better results. I would try that if you suspect that is going on, and not give up on her yet...

Size difference in the remaining two:

11F9e4g.jpg

Close up of the smaller one, noticing the eyes:

ylt9efF.jpg

The buck is a Vienna marked, and certainly carries the dwarf gene. I didn't think the doe had the dwarf though, she's a large Holland. Of the 5 kits, I know at least two were Vienna marked - the surviving little one now and one that died yesterday.

-- Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:50 am --

Just an update for future readers. The little one passed away on April 1st. The remaining kit is big and fat - doing just fine.

Back