Damp 🐇 Pellets

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbits by Accident

Reaction score
I installed a misting system across the front of my cages. It's wonderful and the rabbits love it, however it's rather windy here and the pellets in the feeding part of the J feeder sometimes get damp. It's also hot and dry when the mister is off so they seem to dry out, and not mold but I'm wondering if this is a problem... what say you?

I would stick to feeding only as many pellets as they can finish in a 30 minute time frame. This way you don't need to worry about potential waste. It does add another step though as you will need to return to feed them more often. I feed mine pellets 2x a day and refill hay and grass 3x a day. It is a pain in the butt lol but this has reduced my waste tremendously.

I can see how that is! However, the little bit that gets wet is thrown to the chickens who greatly appreciate it :D ... I'm more concerned with stomach upset, etc. I am thinking about making a little umbrella for the feeder :D

They get a ton of hay, same deal ... the chickens are a bit miffed because I don't pay as much attention to them now that I have rabbits (and the rabbits are jealous of the new goats LOL) but the hay/pellets makes up for it a little 🙃

I can see how that is! However, the little bit that gets wet is thrown to the chickens who greatly appreciate it :D ... I'm more concerned with stomach upset, etc. I am thinking about making a little umbrella for the feeder :D

They get a ton of hay, same deal ... the chickens are a bit miffed because I don't pay as much attention to them now that I have rabbits (and the rabbits are jealous of the new goats LOL) but the hay/pellets makes up for it a little 🙃
Hahahaha I can see that, there is always so much going on! good thinking feeding the pellets to the chickens I'm sure they see it as a special treat worthy of fighting over 😅 mine do the same thing when I bring them scraps and such.
I recommended the timed feeding because I pay an exceptionally high amount for pellets here in Canada. I selected a pellet that is grain free, non GMO, etc..etc.. it has the possibility to break the bank to be honest. The only commercial pellet I can find in my area is purina and no judgement but I find the ingredient list a little unsettling: we all do what we have to! and there is no judgement again! but for us at least waste control is huge. when my kits started eating and the pellets fell through the wire bottom I saw dollars flying out of my wallet lol. thank goodness they are tidy eaters now 🤣

Hahahaha I can see that, there is always so much going on! good thinking feeding the pellets to the chickens I'm sure they see it as a special treat worthy of fighting over 😅 mine do the same thing when I bring them scraps and such.
I recommended the timed feeding because I pay an exceptionally high amount for pellets here in Canada. I selected a pellet that is grain free, non GMO, etc..etc.. it has the possibility to break the bank to be honest. The only commercial pellet I can find in my area is purina and no judgement but I find the ingredient list a little unsettling: we all do what we have to! and there is no judgement again! but for us at least waste control is huge. when my kits started eating and the pellets fell through the wire bottom I saw dollars flying out of my wallet lol. thank goodness they are tidy eaters now 🤣
I know the feeling. I came up with a way to save the majority of the pellets - I put trays under the J feeders, close enough that they couldn't poop in them very easily. I saved a lot of pellets that way. You can see what I did here, if you're interested.

Curious, why 'grain-free' pellets? I actually feed my rabbits wheat grain and oatmeal as treats. (I make a mixture of "granola" - wheat, oatmeal, BOSS) They love it.

I know the feeling. I came up with a way to save the majority of the pellets - I put trays under the J feeders, close enough that they couldn't poop in them very easily. I saved a lot of pellets that way. You can see what I did here, if you're interested.

Curious, why 'grain-free' pellets? I actually feed my rabbits wheat grain and oatmeal as treats. (I make a mixture of "granola" - wheat, oatmeal, BOSS) They love it.
very cool setup! thank you for sharing!! I honestly don't know why I decided grain free, I think it evolved from me wanting to avoid GMO's and turned into a bit of an obsession TBH. I do now have access to non-GMO grains and want to start incorporating them as many folks do feed grain. Also my feed is way too expensive and I need to think sustainably.

very cool setup! thank you for sharing!! I honestly don't know why I decided grain free, I think it evolved from me wanting to avoid GMO's and turned into a bit of an obsession TBH. I do now have access to non-GMO grains and want to start incorporating them as many folks do feed grain. Also my feed is way too expensive and I need to think sustainably.
I agree completely about the GMO feed. Unfortunately I'm not able to get organic feed. I'm sure if I could get it I wouldn't be willing to pay for it LOL. What I did last time was put the rabbits in tractors on 100% organic grass in our yard for 2 weeks before butchering. I figure if it takes two weeks for a cow to get tender feeding it grain before butchering it, probably most of the problems with GMO feed will be at least moderated if they eat grass for 2 weeks before I eat them. They did lose a little weight, there was no fat and they tasted wonderful.

I want to go to a more natural feeding system, there's a good discussion forum here on rabbit talk but I haven't explored it yet.

I agree completely about the GMO feed. Unfortunately I'm not able to get organic feed. I'm sure if I could get it I wouldn't be willing to pay for it LOL. What I did last time was put the rabbits in tractors on 100% organic grass in our yard for 2 weeks before butchering. I figure if it takes two weeks for a cow to get tender feeding it grain before butchering it, probably most of the problems with GMO feed will be at least moderated if they eat grass for 2 weeks before I eat them. They did lose a little weight, there was no fat and they tasted wonderful.

I want to go to a more natural feeding system, there's a good discussion forum here on rabbit talk but I haven't explored it yet.
oh thank you! ill take a look

Back