Critique/suggestions on this sales contract?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle@theWintertime

Reaction score
I'm well aware that a sales contract is essentially worthless but I want one anyways. I am unlikely to insist a fellow breeder sign this, but I'm wanting non-breeders to sign SOMETHING...if that makes sense?
I opted to re-write my contract, anything I'm missing?

Heathertoft Rabbitry Sales Contract

Breed:_________________________ Sex: buck doe
Color:__________________________________________
D.O.B.:______________________ Ear Tattoo:_______
Price: $____________ Suitable For: pet show brood
Pedigree: yes no Registered:____________________

This contract is between __________________________ (hereinafter referred to as SELLER) and __________________________ (hereinafter referred to as BUYER).
The SELLER guarantees the rabbit described above to be free from disease and free of health defects at the time of sale. Should the rabbit die or exhibit signs of disease within two weeks of sale, upon return of the rabbit SELLER will refund the sales price or replace the rabbit with a comparable animal if such an animal is available (refund will be issued if no suitable replacement is available). No refund or replacement will be made if death or illness of the rabbit is caused by improper housing, feeding, or care provided by the BUYER.

The rabbit is guaranteed by SELLER to be the sex designated above; in the event the SELLER incorrectly sexed this rabbit, BUYER is entitled to return this rabbit for a full refund of the sales price. If BUYER chooses to keep the rabbit despite being incorrectly sexed, BUYER waives the right to a refund.

The rabbit is guaranteed to embody the general characteristics of its breed as defined by the Standard of Perfection (published by the American Rabbit Breeder’s Association) if purebred. If the rabbit is sold as being “show quality” the rabbit is guaranteed to be an appropriate/accepted color and free of disqualifying faults. SELLER does not guarantee “show quality” rabbits will win at rabbit shows; in context of this contract, “show quality” refers solely to the discretion of SELLER that if this rabbit was not sold, SELLER would be comfortable competing with this rabbit. If a rabbit is sold as “pet” or “brood” quality, any known issues or disqualifications the rabbit possesses will be hand-written by SELLER on this contract and initialed by BUYER in acknowledgement.

To maintain the health and well-being of the rabbit, BUYER agrees to feed the same brand of feed that the SELLER has been feeding for no less than one week, and in the event that BUYER chooses to change brands the switch must be made slowly over the course of no less than one week. Failure to do so could result in illness or death of the rabbit for which the SELLER claims no responsibility.

If at any time the BUYER can no longer retain possession of this rabbit, the SELLER is to be notified and given first option of resuming full ownership of the rabbit. SELLER will reclaim all rabbits on a “no questions asked” policy. Under no circumstances will this rabbit be sold, leased, traded or given away to any pet shop, research laboratory, animal shelter or similar facility.

The preceding paragraphs contain conditions established to ensure the well-being of the rabbit, but also to uphold and maintain the reputation of quality that Heathertoft Rabbitry has established. The BUYER’s agreements will continue for the rabbit’s life and the SELLER will have the right to enforce the agreements.

Signature of SELLER (date:__________________________)

Signature of BUYER (date:__________________________)

That looks good to me, Kyle. The only thing I would consider adding is, in case of a return, the buyer acknowledges that the seller will not pay to receive the rabbit. I could see someone asking you to return their purchase price to get rid of it.

Marinea":2cxjjrxt said:
That looks good to me, Kyle. The only thing I would consider adding is, in case of a return, the buyer acknowledges that the seller will not pay to receive the rabbit. I could see someone asking you to return their purchase price to get rid of it.

Mmmm. Fair enough, hadn't thought of that! Will add that in post haste. :) Thanks!

Very nice !

I don't know if you want it in your contract or not but I would add that they also abandon all rights to returned rabbits

I've had some of my rabbits returned and have taken in other unwanted bunnies (and other species :mrgreen:) and when people ask what will happen to them and I tell them i wil try and find a home and/or the critter may be euthanized they get pissy

It boggles the mind that people think that others want their old/sick/aggressive/vicious animal when they don't and that there is a magical "farm" that takes in all unwanted pets and gives them a forever home :groooan:

Dood":3nxnhti7 said:
Very nice !

I don't know if you want it in your contract or not but I would add that they also abandon all rights to returned rabbits

I've had some of my rabbits returned and have taken in other unwanted bunnies (and other species :mrgreen:) and when people ask what will happen to them and I tell them i wil try and find a home and/or the critter may be euthanized they get pissy

It boggles the mind that people think that others want their old/sick/aggressive/vicious animal when they don't and that there is a magical "farm" that takes in all unwanted pets and gives them a forever home :groooan:

VERY good point.

DEFINITELY adding that in. :p Thanks!!!

It looks awesome, Kyle. Pretty nice having a retired attorney for a dad, eh?

Latest posts

Back