Cowpea hay

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoodat

Reaction score
After reading this report from Purdue University I have gotten very interested in growing cowpeas this Summer to dry as hay. According to this it has the same protein value as alfalfa and should be easier to grow in the garden. I was also interested to note that the peas themselves can be fed raw. Any comments from those who have fed cowpea vines to their rabbits?
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/afcm/cowpea.html

I don't know about growing field peas but I give my rabbits the sweet pea plants after harvest and they love them.

If you want a high protein hay you must harvest the plants before the seeds develop. Plants loose their protein content in the leaves to seed production. Hays that are late cut with fully formed seed heads have less than 5% protein but early cut can have 12%.

I was sitting here looking through the subjects seeing what to read with my wife right next to me. The next thing I hear is, "COW PEE!" .....yep, there ya have it folk...my wife. Never a dull moment.

....and the towel of poo.....feel sorry for me...I have to deal with her.

Latest posts

Back