County Fair Results! +more (Long blog)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaxmarblebuns

Reaction score
This was my last county fair as a 4-Her. I learned this year that getting older is an amazing experience, but can be a painful one as well. I strived to make the most of it this year and I’m glad that I could accomplish that.

Before we start off I would like to give credits to my brother. I do handle most of the breeding parings in the rabbitry, but this year my brother really stepped up and had some amazing input. Joey, Taylor, and Eddie are rabbits that he bred and raised himself. Even though I entered one of them, all award credits go to him on those ones. Please give him a big round of applause for his amazing picks👏

With no further ado, here are the results of the 2022 pierce county fair.

My Entries.

Rabbits

Joey (Californian, doe, intermediate)
Best of breed in type.
Blue ribbon in meat class.
BEST IN SHOW.

Koi (Rex, buck, senior)
Blue ribbon in type.
Best of breed and variety by default (only Rex there lol.)

Daisy (pet quality/mix, doe, junior)
Grand champion fryer.
Reserve grand champion in pet class.

Dahlia (pet quality/mix, doe, junior)
Blue ribbon in pet class.
Reserve champion fryer.

Showmanship
Blue ribbon. I was close for reserve but I didn’t have enough confidence, I constant struggle with showmanship.

Quiz Bowl.
[C]First place team. (I alone got as many points as the hope apposing team.)

Judging Contest.
(rabbits, chickens and caves.)

Rabbits, Grand champion. I beat a very smart girl that usually conquers all of the knowledge events.

Chickens, I actually forgot to get my paper but apparently I got a blue according to my friend. Idk how given that meat is I put down “this goes in stews,” but hay I’ll take a blue if I can get it.

Cavies, I got a blue and with that it now means that I have made it to the state judging team…….. I don’t even own a cavy nor have I ever, but apparently that doesn’t matter. (Going to have to start reading the back of the SOP.)

Pocket pets
with my glass snail Elmo
Blue ribbon in type.
Grand champion in showmanship by default (I was the only senior there lol.)

Food Entries
Gluten free dairy free cinnamon rolls
Reserve Grand champion in the 4-H baking department!

My Brother’s

Taylor (Californian, buck, intermediate)
Best opposite sex of breed in type.
Grand champion roaster.

Eddie (Californian, buck, intermediate)
Blue ribbon in type.

Lily (pet quality/mix breed, doe, junior)
Blue ribbon in type.

Shiro (pet quality/Californian, buck, senior)
Blue ribbon in pet class.

Showmanship
Blue ribbon

quiz bowl
Second place team, he answered half the questions for his team.

Judging contest
Blue ribbon. He was hoping to get a red so that he didn’t have to be on the state team, and honestly I can’t blame him lol it’s stressful there.

Food Entries
Gluten free lemon bars
Blue ribbon

Photos.
Three flowers and one tree fungus
All got blue ribbons

New Rabbit!
We brought home an, odd, rabbit from a friend. This rabbit comes from two papered New Zealand’s, the sir is a solid black and the dam is a broken black. The same buck was also bred to another doe (I believe also a broken black) and they got Californian marked from her as well. My guess is that a Californian was thrown in the lines years back to work out a type fault, common practice among rabbit breeders, and there was just the right genetic mix to bring the lines back out.
We have been having some size problems in our Californian so I decided to bring her home in hope that she would grow big enough to help that, her parents are 11-12 pounds each. And given her coloring I shouldn’t have too much of an issue bringing her lines back out.

More About The Snail.
4-H has a newer category “pocket pets” that shares the rabbit barn. It’s pretty much any small animal that doesn’t fit into the other categories, some of these animal include rodents, reptiles, fish, birds, etc. last year I entered my gerbils indica and Sativa, but they are old so I didn’t want to stress them. So, I entered my glass snail Elmo lol. Showmanship was an interesting experience I will say, apparently I’m “too old” for parents to take pictures of me doing these thing so I don’t have footage of it 😤

Bad New!
Almost all of our rabbits have fur mites. We had a suspicion a few weeks back so we treated the herd for it and thought we had success, apparently not though. We didn’t have any at fair itself but after bringing the animals back we noticed some signs on our stalk at home. We have treated all the animals with kitten flea powder and will again in ten days. This method has worked in the past and hopefully will again before state fair mid next month, fingers crossed.

Extras.
Every night after the fair close the 4-Hers get to play games in the arena. The first night we played mushroom tag. Well, the cow people spares you didn’t clean up very well, so by the end of it at least 5 kids looked like they took a swim in a mud pond, myself included lol
Because of the avian flu there were no live chickens/poultry at fair this year. The chicken barn supper intendant made sure the kids had things to keep them happing though. One of those activities was the costume contest. Usually the kids dress up the chickens, but they dressed themselves to impress this time. I was chosen to judge the contest this year and I’m not gunna lie it was hard picking a winner. (Especially because I’m friends with most of the kids.) In the end kernel sanders got grand champion, and the blowup costume got reserve.

Even with the less pleasant events of this years Fair, I couldn’t have dreamed for a better end to the last 11 years of my life’s journey, and I can’t wait to see what state fair has in store for me this September! See y’all next time.​

Attachments

• BFFEE56B-E2FF-416E-8F85-A3EDD1C3BA5E.jpeg
    BFFEE56B-E2FF-416E-8F85-A3EDD1C3BA5E.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 418F655C-C48E-401C-BB18-92975EF537E5.jpeg
    418F655C-C48E-401C-BB18-92975EF537E5.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • A1788431-A628-44C2-AF4D-C433ACF3F465.jpeg
    A1788431-A628-44C2-AF4D-C433ACF3F465.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 04D23A16-C8EC-4BAD-A841-F02B00BB3B8C.jpeg
    04D23A16-C8EC-4BAD-A841-F02B00BB3B8C.jpeg