Could I see success bonding a 5m neutered buck with another baby buck?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle Duncan

Reaction score
Hi - My 5month old buck just lost his buck companion when they went to undergo neutering procedure. They were getting along great until hormones kicked in which is why we scheduled the neuter. I'd like to get him a new companion and would ideally like to get another buck but I have read mixed opinions of whether or not two young bucks can bond successfully. Would love to get opinions. TIA!

It could be possible. But it's not always easy to just bond two rabbits, and some just aren't meant to be with another

It could be possible. But it's not always easy to just bond two rabbits, and some just aren't meant to be with another
Would you suggest a female instead and is there a benefit to trying to do it while my male is really young and hasn't been the only bun for too long?

Would you suggest a female instead and is there a benefit to trying to do it while my male is really young and hasn't been the only bun for too long?
In my experience bucks can be really snuggly with kits, and it doesn't matter whether they're male or female kits.

The only problem I would anticipate (other than what @RabbitsOfTheCreek mentions, which is that sometimes certain individuals just don't like each other) is that when a male kit matures, if you don't get him neutered as well, he'll probably start bugging the original buck. So in that regard, a female might be a better option.

On the other hand, females can get a little uppity (or worse) when they hit sexual maturity, so there's that issue too. You just have to decide which potential problem you want to deal with. ;)

And yes, probably the sooner the better. Younger rabbits tend to be more flexible than older ones.

Latest posts

Back