Correcting splayed legs before 2 weeks of age?! Advice?!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbtexas

Reaction score
My doe had her first little of babies almost 2 weeks ago today. She is being a good mama and they are very well fed, but I've noticed that the 2 fattest kits have signs of splayed legs. I believe it's from the crawling to the bottom of the nest box and sliding around instead of laying on the top layer of hay and fur. I took them out this morning, cleaned the nest, put a small clean washrag at the bottom of the nest, added bedding, and hay to give them some traction.

My question is now that I've caught it and fixed the nestbox, will their legs go back to normal once they start moving around more and walking? They will be 2 weeks old in 3 days so I'm hoping I caught it early to prevent lasting damage. :cry: :eek: :| When I correct their legs to lay under them, they don't seem to be in any pain or anything.

They all have potential new homes as pets which they will go to at 10-12 weeks old as long as their back legs are fine and don't disturb their movement of value of life.

How are the parents legs?

They look very bad.. i don't think they will correct fully, maybe pull a little back in. Depends if they are still able to walk with those legs.. can they? If they can't pull the legs back in and walk on it, then i think it's too late and that the legs will stay deformed and maybe become worse. Depends on the next 4 weeks how they will develope..

I've had a splay legged rabbit, bought from a petshop and he didn't live long. He always scarred his bottom when he walked around.
Not to make you scared but just sharing my experience..

I pray for them, poor little fella's :(

Poor thing :( That looks serious. I tried fixing splay legs before and it didn't work and I ended up culling it. It wasn't even a matter of being over fed either....i took them out of the nesting box early because it was that or a heat wave while I was at work.

I had a Holland Lop baby that was in a metal bottom nest box for probably too long, and her legs started to really look splayed. Once I took the nest box away they corrected and she's 2 years old now and just fine. Hopefully your little guys will be OK too.

Nearly 3wks and still not out of the nest?? I take the kits out around 12-14 days for time outside of the nest and to work on their walking skills. They suck terribly at it, but a few days later, they are hopping around like pros and can get back into the nest for their 20hr naps.
I'd force the two fattest to skip a meal a day and put them out of the nest on the wire floor with mom so they can start attempting to walk correctly. Don't know if it will fix the bad legs, but it can't hurt!

Maybe try using a bit of string/velcro/fleece/something to secure their legs into the proper position for a week or two and see if that helps, it's what they do for baby birds with splayed legs. Some even use a length of wood or foam tied to the legs to give them more support. And start taking them out of the box for some exercise to start strengthening them.

No. @Secuono they are 3 days away from turning 2 weeks old. They are not 3 weeks old.

Thanks HowlsofAngels. I'll let them get exercise when they all open their eyes and I have thought about bracing the legs to try to help.

Are there just three in the litter? Those two are awfully fat... They may simply be too heavy for their young legs to support them. We had a lonely only once who was so fat that we feared he might develop leg problems. We removed the nestbox and just let him be with the doe for short periods morning and evening. He was still awfully fat, but he grew up healthy and is now our herd sire.

Yes MaggieJ there are only 3 survivors. She had 7: 3 DOA, 4 living but one was a peanut and we lost it at day 6.

rbtexas":1hd9ittz said:
No. @Secuono they are 3 days away from turning 2 weeks old. They are not 3 weeks old.

Thanks HowlsofAngels. I'll let them get exercise when they all open their eyes and I have thought about bracing the legs to try to help.

Misread it then, they did look younger than 3wks.
There was an article on a pit puppy that was found with splayed front and back legs, straight out to the sides like a sheet of paper. With a lot of hands on work and exercise, they were able to get the legs down and the dog can walk fairly normally.
I don't think tying the legs on a rabbit would work, mom would chew it off and other kits might get stuck between the legs and cross support.

Update: we had to put the middle kit down who's legs were the worst; he was 3 w/o and couldn't walk. The other 2 are doing great, leg wise. The biggest who's legs have straightened up is running, jumping, and everything. The runt only has one leg that is splayed (though I think it may have been broken in the box and healed funny..?!) is just as active and uses both of his legs.

Update: we had to put the middle kit down who's legs were the worst; he was 3 w/o and couldn't walk. The other 2 are doing great, leg wise. The biggest who's legs have straightened up is running, jumping, and everything. The runt only has one leg that is splayed (though I think it may have been broken in the box and healed funny..?!) is just as active and uses both of his legs.
Glad to read these news, i ve been looking for more info on wether to brace the legs. I only have 1 baby rabbit, never imagined he would overdrink, no now im just letting the mom visit to feed him morning and night, but he gets so full i wonder if i should not allow him to have a full meal? But how to calculate correctly? Did u find any pictures or videos that shows how to brace the legs? Mine is gonna be 3 wks in 4 days.

Hi Leslie, welcome. This is an old thread, you may want to start a new thread about your questions and concerns. You'll get lots of responses. Please PM me if you need assistance.

Latest posts

Back